GNUChess does a

GNUChess does a "MaryAnn"

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
26 Mar 07

Originally posted by Amaurote
Their evil cackle and penchant for twirling their moustache.
Damn! That's me busted...

Richard

z

Moves
26 Mar 07

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Because her profile image was called sexyfemale32.jpg (or similar) and appears to have been taken from somewhere online (someone found the source at some point). And anyway, that picture looked like a man.

Also "Equipped with an opening book and playing against an unaided human", wouldn't that mean that GNUChess was cheating?!!!@!@!@>!>!@#!@IU&$T#@*($&T@$#(@(#$#@FSDF DFSEDF #$@#$ #@$
Any computer without an opening book is crap. GNUChess' book is an assembly of odd games which may not be the best way to pit it against humans. Perhaps you could help the GNUChess team build a better one from one of your powerbooks?

Moves
26 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by YUG0slav
a horsie? Even my 2 year old cousin calls in a knight.

Now I feel bad that nobody wants to discuss any games with me *sobs*

Who says that only engines wont resign? How many games between people of
My 27 year-old fiancee calls it a "horsie"...I guess it's more feminine then knight.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
26 Mar 07

Originally posted by z00t
Any computer without an opening book is crap. GNUChess' book is an assembly of odd games which may not be the best way to pit it against humans. Perhaps you could help the GNUChess team build a better one from one of your powerbooks?
Why would I help the GNU chess team build an opening book? Any book constructed from a decent database will be quite large, large enough to make downloading difficult at the very least. And actually it's a jab at your ridiculous assertions previously about database use being cheating.

z

Moves
26 Mar 07

Yadda Yadda ...And actually it's a jab at your ridiculous assertions previously about database use being cheating.
Hehe where did I make such a statement? People who play speedchess or OTB chess will tell you about CC wimps who are too used to their comfort zone databases & books and are like a fish out of water when those things aren't available.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
26 Mar 07

Hehe where did I make such a statement? People who play speedchess or OTB chess will tell you about CC wimps who are too used to their comfort zone databases & books and are like a fish out of water when those things aren't available.
Guess I got you confused with a different idiot with different stupid opinions.

z

Moves
26 Mar 07

Guess I got you confused with a different idiot with different stupid opinions.
You know if you want to be treated more seriously you might as well get an avatar from muppet central. Get your facts right before you make a fool outa yourself. CC Wimp

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 Mar 07

... [b]CC Wimp[/b]
a chess nerd trying to insult another chess nerd for being a chess nerd. how pathetic can you get?

z

Moves
27 Mar 07

Originally posted by wormwood
trying to insult a chess nerd for being a chess nerd. how pathetic can you get?
I had not insulted him and he falsely accuses me before comparing me to some other idiot. Is he at the wrong period of the month or what, because you don't go pointing fingers and then adding insult to injury with a line like some other idiot.

m

Moves
27 Mar 07

In a recently concluded CC tmt. one of my opponents was a long time CC Master with whom I drew. The game lasted 32 moves and we left the book at move 12 so played 20 moves on our own. As an experiment I let Frtiz 8 analyze each move for 30-60 seconds. I selected Fritz’s 1st choice 11 times and 2nd choice 4 times. My opponent’s match up was 10 1st choices and 4 2nd choices. So I matched Fritz’s 1st & 2nd choice 75% of the time compared to 70% for my opponent. Would these be match ups sufficient to suggest engine use?

In my last OTB offhand club game (picked just becasue it was my last) against an 1800 we played 29 non-book moves. He matched Fritz’s first choice 15 times and 2nd choice 2 times for a 59% rate. My record was 15 & 11 for a 90% rate.

Not very scientific, but I think it shows the problem of matching computer moves, esp. on a home computer, doesn’t prove anything.

z

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by masscat
In a recently concluded CC tmt. one of my opponents was a long time CC Master with whom I drew. The game lasted 32 moves and we left the book at move 12 so played 20 moves on our own. As an experiment I let Frtiz 8 analyze each move for 30-60 seconds. I selected Fritz’s 1st choice 11 times and 2nd choice 4 times. My opponent’s match up was 10 1st choices an ...[text shortened]... t shows the problem of matching computer moves, esp. on a home computer, doesn’t prove anything.
Hmm very strange ... do you have the pgns so that readers can get to the bottom of your claims?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
28 Mar 07

In a recently concluded CC tmt. one of my opponents was a long time CC Master with whom I drew. The game lasted 32 moves and we left the book at move 12 so played 20 moves on our own. As an experiment I let Frtiz 8 analyze each move for 30-60 seconds. I selected Fritz’s 1st choice 11 times and 2nd choice 4 times. My opponent’s match up was 10 1st choices an ...[text shortened]... t shows the problem of matching computer moves, esp. on a home computer, doesn’t prove anything.
all of the percentages you gave are perfectly normal for individual games. nothing out of ordinary there.

m

Moves
28 Mar 07

z00t, just curious, would you suspect engine use? It doesn’t sound like wormwood would. I gave this example out of curiosity. I think it illustrates a couple of points that need to be taken into consideration. If you out rate an opponent by a couple hundred points or if you establish a winning advantage, strong moves are often obvious and you’re going to get a high percentage. The first case shows why it’s a good idea to double and triple check moves for errors over a couple days rather than firing off a move as soon as you receive a reply. It’s my opinion that if you use a home computer and let it examine a position for only 1 or 2 minutes it won’t play much above 2100-2200 which further explains the high percentage of match ups. I don’t have the patience to check to see what the percentages would be if I let it run longer.

z

Moves
29 Mar 07

z00t, just curious, would you suspect engine use? It doesn’t sound like wormwood would. I gave this example out of curiosity. ...
I would not comment either way till I saw the game. Is it a positional game, a tactical game or what? Is it a game where Queens came off and the game is simpified? That is why its best to see the game rather than argue figuratively, particularly as you have mentioned a CC master.