1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 19:26
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    Nobody's caught on to my engine yet...
    Yes, it was very clever of you to use the obscure Mustrum engine (*) in your games.

(*) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustrum
  2. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 19:36
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Yes, it was very clever of you to use the obscure Mustrum engine (*) in your games.

You're on to me...

Damn!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 02:48

It says it plays perfectly if it has the first move. Does that mean the game is busted? Second move has no chance?
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 17:20
    Yes, it was very clever of you ......
    Didn't they say it aint over till the fat lady sings?
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    12 Aug '06 18:15
    Originally posted by z00t
    If someone plays a move or moves that only computers do in that situation. The honourable thing to do would be to resign but computers just make a silly move like sacing the queen for instance.

In some instances very highly rated people on correspondence chess sites have been known to call knights "a horsie" or decline attempts to discuss the game after they ...[text shortened]... plete patzer but uses a chess engine to win unfairly - explaining the lack of chess knowledge.
    Opps I better stop talking about my horsies, castles and soldiers then!

What should I call them?

and that strange move with the pawns that my computer makes when he can't capture, does that have a name?

Oh and I forgot, who moves first?
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 10:53
    In GNUChess's defence, I was playing it on my XP computer where it did not have an opening book. Equipped with an opening book and playing against an unaided human, it would beat 9 out of 10 humans. (9 out of 10 again? hehe)

Anyone knows what happened to Mary Ann? No-one was on their buddy list? It was a shame when one of the few females on the site decided to do the un-thinkable.
  7. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 12:00
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    correspondance chess gives you days to decide on a move. That's days to consult chess books or historic games for aid on your move. I know for a fact that I am a better cc player than blitz player as I do take the time to analyze each move (using historic games for similar positions) and find the best one, I simply can't do that in blitz or otb.
    I learnt to play by playing chessmaster. It has a teaching mode that explains what and why a move is good.

In a sense I play more like a computer as a lot of my positional chess play is copied from the past recommendations of that program. My chess intuition is very poor.

When i played in a league match i would analyse my games with chessmaster. I was always pleased that 90% of my moves would be what chessmaster recommended. The problem would be the 10% moves where nearly always losing moves in sharp, uneven calculating positions.

Like yourself I am best at slow games and my moves become MUCH closer to computer moves.
  8. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 12:12
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    how can you tell if someone is cheating?
    Their evil cackle and penchant for twirling their moustache.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    I was always pleased that 90% of my moves would be what chessmaster recommended.
    cm's 'agreement rate' is not match up rate. you were nowhere near 90%. and it doesn't make any difference if you learn by playing against computer. you still make your decisions like a human.
  10. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 12:22
    This is the relevant position later on I noticed that black could have tried 36 ..Kg8 seeing I was seriously out of time. Perhaps chess software can be adapted to detect when their opponents are in time trouble and to play for time just like human opponents. Perhaps one of the reasons playing humans is more fun than playing software is the humaniblity aspect.[fen]3rb2r/pp2n1pk/4Pp1p/3p1P2/2pP1QN1/2P4R/2P1B2P/q5RK w - - 0 36[/fen]
    Alas 36...Kg8 is an illegal move.
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 12:56

No sorry 35 ...Kg8 not 36 ...Kg8 I would have probably lost on time.
  12. The sky
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 17:03
    It was a shame when one of the few females on the site decided to do the un-thinkable.
    I doubt "she" was a female.
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 22:35
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I doubt "she" was a female.
    Why just because she cheated or because she claimed to be female?
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 23:362 edits
    Why just because she cheated or because she claimed to be female?
    Because her profile image was called sexyfemale32.jpg (or similar) and appears to have been taken from somewhere online (someone found the source at some point). And anyway, that picture looked like a man.

Also "Equipped with an opening book and playing against an unaided human", wouldn't that mean that GNUChess was cheating?!!!@!@!@>!>!@#!@IU&$T#@*($&T@$#(@(#$#@FSDF DFSEDF #$@#$ #@$
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 06:491 edit
    From what I hear, you use a new organic based engine. It appears that it isn't quite as reliable as the silicon ones, but it has greater chess knowledge and can find some shockingly good moves at times. Of course, cheating this way will not be tolerated either and you will get the punishment you deserve!

EDIT: I didn't realize how long this thread was. It seems someone caught on before me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree