Go 'ThebigKat'! 2491, 9 points to go for 2500!

Go 'ThebigKat'! 2491, 9 points to go for 2500!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Sep 13

Originally posted by Tygert
Personally, I think it's all c**p. No one will get above 2500, notice User 547283. He almost got to 2500 and then "blundered" against a 1400 player by giving away a completely free queen. People at GM level don't make those kind of mistakes... at such a key time as well.
He was actually winning until he made that queen blunder. If he had moved the queen one spot over instead, he would have been fine. Who knows what he was thinking at the time. I don't think he was a master, however, he beat me and I once beat a USCF candidate master in an unrated game at the service club on Fort Gordon when I was still in the US Army. Of course, the candidate master beat me about 10 times before that.

The Instructor

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
05 Sep 13

carpmaniac71 is known to us. He has an OTB ECF rating of 121. That converts to an OTB Elo of c. 1450

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
06 Sep 13

Originally posted by radicalcpp
Hello guys!
This is my first time posting here.

And I wish to share my experience.
I am playing a 1800+ French tournament and Carpmaniac71 was in my group. At the beginning I was excited because I could play the number two of the site. I was expecting first class theory knowledge according to his rating and it did not happen. Carpmaniac71 chose old ...[text shortened]... time) of becoming a class A player.

I am new to the site, my apologies for the long post.
Don't worry about making long posts if you have something to say, I've written essays in some of the other forums here. Forty games is quite a lot - I used to have 80 and would just lose control when too many people moved at once. Anyone with too many games is either going to play badly or drag their feet - it's not a sign of malice. I'll subscribe again when I have the money, but in the meantime being restricted to 6 games is quite healthy for me...

Moves
06 Sep 13
2 edits

Originally posted by atticus2
carpmaniac71 is known to us. He has an OTB ECF rating of 121. That converts to an OTB Elo of c. 1450
He must use the analyze board a lot.

Per this thread-

I've played TheBigKat 8 times-the longer the games last, the less likely I am to draw. My record is 1-2-5 against him. He was kind enough to drop his queen in my win against him. Mistakes happen. I've never done any analysis of his games, but he is friendly, and his play is strong.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
06 Sep 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
He was actually winning until he made that queen blunder. If he had moved the queen one spot over instead, he would have been fine. Who knows what he was thinking at the time. I don't think he was a master, however, he beat me and I once beat a USCF candidate master in an unrated game at the service club on Fort Gordon when I was still in the US Army. Of course, the candidate master beat me about 10 times before that.

The Instructor
When we're talking only one square, it could also have been a mouse slip.

I hung my queen like that once, and did not realize I had placed my queen on the wrong square until after I hit "submit". I went from mating to being a queen down instantly.

Editor

Moves
21 Sep 13

Carpmaniac71 told me his son made the blunder while he was doing something in another room.🙄

S

Moves
21 Sep 13

Strong word have been spoken here.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
22 Sep 13

Originally posted by Tygert
Personally, I think it's all c**p. No one will get above 2500, notice User 547283. He almost got to 2500 and then "blundered" against a 1400 player by giving away a completely free queen. People at GM level don't make those kind of mistakes... at such a key time as well.
It is a mistake - a huge mistake- to think that because someone's rating is close to 2500 here, they are at GM level.

Not even close.

I feel pretty confident that any reasonable player could get a RHP rating in that range simply by being careful and consistent in selecting opponents, and being willing to play a lot of games. It was claimed that Skeeter did that, and I am sure there were others.

That anyone ascribes any value at all to ratings here at RHP other than as a personal metric is beyond me.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
11 Oct 13

In one of my games against him, I botched the opening, scratched back into a messy, scrappy position, and then blundered right into a mate.

I had not blundered like that in some time, but I was due, I suppose. In any event, I contributed another point!

e4

Moves
11 Oct 13

I've blundered my Queen on here.

I was doing 101 other things at the same time.
I looked at the dreary position played a move and offered a draw.
I resigned next move! 🙂

I've also dropped Rooks, Knights, Bishops and pawns to one move blunders.
Some I turned into sacs and won.

You have to be pretty disciplined not to blunder, especially with more
than 20 games on go.
( er....I'm pretty sure I dropped my Queen when I only had three or four games going.)

Some games grip me and I analsye into dust others for some reason or other
I just play screen chess, like a blitz game.

Sometimes as with my OTB games the wee deveil would sit on my shoulder.
"This is boring let's spice things up." and I soon find myself clutching at passing straws
wondering how I got into this mess.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
11 Oct 13

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I've blundered my Queen on here.

I was doing 101 other things at the same time.
I looked at the dreary position played a move and offered a draw.
I resigned next move! 🙂

I've also dropped Rooks, Knights, Bishops and pawns to one move blunders.
Some I turned into sacs and won.

You have to be pretty disciplined not to blunder, especially with ...[text shortened]... ngs up." and I soon find myself clutching at passing straws
wondering how I got into this mess.
The funny thing is that I took your advice a few years ago and put a Post It note on my laptop that says "Check all checks, and look for loose pieces", and it has served me well.

I've replaced it a few times, and it's almost become second nature, but I just failed to apply it when I needed, and missed an abrupt game-ending shot. I don't mind losing, but this one was a little silly- I had to laugh at myself once I got over the initial shock.

s

Moves
11 Oct 13

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
The funny thing is that I took your advice a few years ago and put a Post It note on my laptop that says "Check all checks, and look for loose pieces", and it has served me well.

I've replaced it a few times, and it's almost become second nature, but I just failed to apply it when I needed, and missed an abrupt game-ending shot. I don't mind losing, but this one was a little silly- I had to laugh at myself once I got over the initial shock.
not the skeeter "post it note" ???

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
12 Oct 13

Originally posted by st40
not the skeeter "post it note" ???
I don't recall Skeeter connected with the Post It Note, but I may just not remember.

Greenpawn34 wrote a thread a few years back, asserting that a player could make it to 2000 on the site if they looked for loose pieces every move, and checked every check before they move.

I know some people ridicule the idea, but I believe that if I went through their games to see how they lost, more than a few of their losses would turn out to be simple hiccups that could have been prevented with a small analytical habit... which would fit on a Post It Note.

I love GP's humor, but I read him for the insightful nuggets of chess gold that he sneaks in between the laughs.

s

Moves
12 Oct 13

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
I don't recall Skeeter connected with the Post It Note, but I may just not remember.

Greenpawn34 wrote a thread a few years back, asserting that a player could make it to 2000 on the site if they looked for loose pieces every move, and checked every check before they move.

I know some people ridicule the idea, but I believe that if I went through ...[text shortened]... r, but I read him for the insightful nuggets of chess gold that he sneaks in between the laughs.
I could be wrong Paul - I thought skeeter was ridiculed for having a post it note on "her" pc

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
12 Oct 13

Originally posted by st40
I could be wrong Paul - I thought skeeter was ridiculed for having a post it note on "her" pc
I think someone else was, too, but I can't remember who it was.

Chess is funny in that not everything works for everyone, as we all have different strengths and weaknesses.

If Skeeter did have a Post It Note, it probably read "Jesus Wept"! 😉