1. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 00:56
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/docarchive/docarchive_20100917-1001a.mp3

if you enjoy radio and chess
    imon Terrington, a self-confessed chess fanatic, explores the game in today's world.

Is modern technology changing it and how it's played? In a world where there are more and more calls upon our time, do people still wish to devote hours to mastering it?

Simon reaffirms his love for chess by absorbing the passion it generates, from grandmasters to community club players; from the World Chess Championship to the chess boards of a Bulgarian park.

These two programmes build a new picture of a game: a game with a wealth of beneficial attributes, but also one with a pugilistic, addictive hook that keeps players coming back to the board, again and again.
  2. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 17:38
    I really enjoyed that documentary. He didn't half talk to a lot of people.
    An interesting aside, I'm currently reading (and enjoying a great deal) Joel Benjamin's "American Grandmaster" in which he has some interesting things to say about the USCF and also Chess in the Schools, which is mentioned in very positive terms in the documentary, as is Marni Capman (Spelling?) who is all very right on in the programme but is described as "a professional fundraiser who has no interest whatsoever in chess" by Benjamin and who he claims has contributed to a general apathy when it comes to finding and supporting US talent. In his book, CITS is concerned far more with chess as a sort of homogenous Sesame Street board game for kids rather than supporting it as a serious sport.
    Not exactly a cardinal sin, in my book, but certainly a missed opportunity to promote chess as a sport.
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 21:14
    Originally posted by jbaca
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/docarchive/docarchive_20100917-1001a.mp3

if you enjoy radio and chess
    imon Terrington, a self-confessed chess fanatic, explores the game in today's world.

Is modern technology changing it and how it's played? In a world where there are more and more calls upon our time, do people still wish to devote hour ...[text shortened]... ith a pugilistic, addictive hook that keeps players coming back to the board, again and again.
    Fantastic post.....bob on

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree