Great escapes

Great escapes

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

Moves
09 Mar 06
1 edit

Have you had any games where you've staved off certain defeat without your opponent making any obvious howlers ?

I was rather pleased with this game against a 2100 rated player. Game 1599673

He just underestimates the danger posed by my advancing pawn, and there are some neat tactics towards the end. The final position requires some analysis to see why neither player can play for a win.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
09 Mar 06

Excellent stuff! pawn moves at the end were genius! :lol:

S

Moves
10 Mar 06
1 edit

I was about to ask why it was drawn when Black had an easy win if: -

1.Bxd2 Kxd2 2.Qf4+ Ke1 3. Qxc7 for a huge advantage in the endgame...

I was about to post this, until I realized that Kxd2 was a one of the worst moves White could possibly play -- once you see the deadly "Qb8+" everything falls into place

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
10 Mar 06
1 edit

I'm not the best player, but I did manage to escape certain doom in one game... its was very very close... he made an error at the end and I got a bit lucky.

Game 1812759

Edit: If I would have let him move that pawn to the last rank it would be game over for me... I knew he would take my rook instead of my knight and that is what allowed me to keep him in check...

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by bolshevik
Have you had any games where you've staved off certain defeat without your opponent making any obvious howlers ?

He just underestimates the danger posed by my advancing pawn, and there are some neat tactics towards the end. The final position requires some analysis to ...[text shortened]... neither player can play for a win.

[fen]6k1/2P2pp1/7p/3p2b1/6q1/1Q6/3B4/3K4 w - - 8 51[/fen]
White could have totally won that one...

D

Moves
10 Mar 06

[b]Have you had any games where you've staved off certain defeat without your opponent making any obvious howlers ?

The final position requires some analysis to see why neither player can play for a win.
I'm sure you are right that it is a draw ... I just can't see it.
Please help me out! How does black play against something like Kc2 and then Qb8. As I see it white ends up with a Queen playing against a Bishop and a pile of pawns.

Where's the flaw?

S

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by Diapason
I'm sure you are right that it is a draw ... I just can't see it.
Please help me out! How does black play against something like Kc2 and then Qb8. As I see it white ends up with a Queen playing against a Bishop and a pile of pawns.

Where's the flaw?
well..seeing as the white king has no cover, i'm sure Black could make repeated checks until the 50move rule (or 3 move-repetition)

Against the move "Kc2" Black has Qe4+ if intercepted there is always Qa4+ and from there, depending on white, a few more options with "check"

and adding to that if the Black Queen (or Bishop) ever gets to play f4+ then Black captures the C7 pawn (i.e - Kc1 Bxd2+ Kxd2 Qf4+ Kd1 Qxc7) and if that happens Black wins because that Pawn is the ONLY saving grace for white

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
11 Mar 06
1 edit

I've given the position to Crafty 20.0; after 6 minutes it gets to 12 moves and assesses the position as +0.01 to white - the best line is: 51.Kc2 Kh7 52. Qd3+ Kg8 53. Qb3 which repeats the position - it's drawn.

h

Moves
11 Mar 06

Yeah, black should have done the queen trade on move 35, now it's too late.

s

Moves
11 Mar 06
2 edits

Originally posted by ChessJester
I'm not the best player, but I did manage to escape certain doom in one game... its was very very close... he made an error at the end and I got a bit lucky.

Game 1812759

Edit: If I would have let him move that pawn to the last rank it would be game over for me... I knew he would take my rook instead of my knight and that is what allowed me to keep him in check...
yeah you had a lucky escape instead of advancing his pawn to the 7th rank he should have played Qe6 check, it ends the game with forced moves resulting in a queen win or mate. But well played for taking full advantage. I guess he switched off, which I have also done this twice recently in game winning positions in over the board matches, a lesson to us all, to never think it's over, until the job is done.

o

Moves
11 Mar 06
1 edit

He just underestimates the danger posed by my advancing pawn, and there are some neat tactics towards the end. The final position requires some analysis to ...[text shortened]... neither player can play for a win.

[fen]6k1/2P2pp1/7p/3p2b1/6q1/1Q6/3B4/3K4 w - - 8 51[/fen]
How come 44.c8=Q wouldn't be winning? Instead you played 44.Kd1 getting out of the way of any discovered checks, but they wouldn't do any good that I could see.... I'm only a 1400 player though, so I'm just wondering why you didn't queen on move 44?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that if you played 44.c8=Q, black has 44...Bc3++

N

The sky

Moves
11 Mar 06

Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that if you played 44.c8=Q, black has 44...Bc3++
44. ... Bc3+, not ++. But the newly promoted queen would be gone.