1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 23:291 edit
    I just got this book, Starting out the Sicilian by Emms

It's really good, I read the dragon section in 3 hours, the Nadjourf I got 6 pages left so that should be 3 hours also. Just think, 6 hours and I know the major of the sicilian!

He goes throught the opening moves, gives some stats, some plans and then has about 3 games for each main variation, and he usually gives 3 main variations for each system. It's not very in depth but for me right now it's perfect.

Maybe a 1900+ guy wouldn't like it, but i think it's great for us under 1900.

O, you can also play 6...e5 in Najdourf if white goes with the english attack. Amazing, eh?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 00:53
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I just got this book, Starting out the Sicilian by Emms

It's really good, I read the dragon section in 3 hours, the Nadjourf I got 6 pages left so that should be 3 hours also. Just think, 6 hours and I know the major of the sicilian!

He goes throught the opening moves, gives some stats, some plans and then has about 3 games for each main variation, and ...[text shortened]... O, you can also play 6...e5 in Najdourf if white goes with the english attack. Amazing, eh?
    Sounds pretty intersting. How's the coverage of the Accelerated Dragon?
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 01:09
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Haven't got there yet. It's near the end of the book under

Other open systems. It's not one of the main ones in the book.
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 17:43
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Not to jack the thread but Silman and Donaldson wrote the best book a while ago on the Accelerated Dragon. Not only are they top notch writers, but they are huge exponents of the black side. Given that, you would think they would be biased, but they aren't. Very objective, and it covers everything! All the systems against the Maroczy (Not just the Gurgenidze), and ..0-0 and ..Qa5 against the Bc4, Be3 set ups. Awesome. Combine alot of analysis and coverage of everything with an intro chapters on themes and tactics and you have yourself an A+. I have taken up this system again after a little bit of time playing the normal Dragon (I am trying to teach myself to cool it a bit and learn some strategic play) and I find the book to be awesome.
  5. Joined
    30 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 18:12
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Not to jack the thread but Silman and Donaldson wrote the best book a while ago on the Accelerated Dragon ... and I find the book to be awesome.
    Have to agree - I've started to play the accelerated dragon after too many years of getting crushed by the yugoslav attack in the main-line dragon and the Silman/Donaldson book was the only one I really considered - absolutely ace.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 19:32
    Not to jack the thread but Silman and Donaldson wrote the best book a while ago on the Accelerated Dragon. Not only are they top notch writers, but they are huge exponents of the black side. Given that, you would think they would be biased, but they aren't. Very objective, and it covers everything! All the systems against the Maroczy (Not just the Gurgenidz ...[text shortened]... teach myself to cool it a bit and learn some strategic play) and I find the book to be awesome.
    I don't enjoy reading books on specific openings. At this stage for me, I don't think it would be very helpful. I like this book because you can read up on a whole section of the sicilian in 3 hours and get a feel for it. I think this is good enough for most player till they get over 1900.
    In the introduction, Emms mentioned that this book is just to wet your appetite in the sicilian, and not to be a book with lots of deep variation. In his hand he said he was holding a book 353 pages deep, on a sub-variation in a variation of the sicilian!

The best part is that its about 170 pages so I should be done reading it in 20 hours or so and have enough knowledge of the sicilian for right now. I found out I play the Yugolsavia and english attack.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 20:29
    Not to jack the thread but Silman and Donaldson wrote the best book a while ago on the Accelerated Dragon. Not only are they top notch writers, but they are huge exponents of the black side. Given that, you would think they would be biased, but they aren't. Very objective, and it covers everything! All the systems against the Maroczy (Not just the Gurgenidz ...[text shortened]... teach myself to cool it a bit and learn some strategic play) and I find the book to be awesome.
    Yeah, I heard that they had a great book on the Accelerated Dragon, but it is a little out of date. That's why I'm considering buying the 2006 version of Sicilian Accelerated Dragon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0713489472/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-7056896-8431841?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance&n=283155
  8. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 02:31
    Any news on the exact release date. I was thinking about buying the other edition, but now I will just wait it out.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 04:24
    It's released already. It was released 2 days ago.
  10. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 06:211 edit
    "The Sicilian" by Mario Puzo is a great book (analyses the games of Giuliano v Carabinieri) 😉
  11. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 06:45
    Crap.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 07:11
    What's the problem?
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 13:46
    I just picked up that book at a used bookstore. Funny thing is that when I learned the "najdorf" the popular lines were the Bf5 and Bc4 lines. In both cases black usually plays e6 instead of e5 so I thought that black always played e6. Needless to say I was shocked to learn that I actually play a Scheveningen.
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 19:43
    Originally posted by zebano
    I just picked up that book at a used bookstore. Funny thing is that when I learned the "najdorf" the popular lines were the Bf5 and Bc4 lines. In both cases black usually plays e6 instead of e5 so I thought that black always played e6. Needless to say I was shocked to learn that I actually play a Scheveningen.
    I was shocked that you could play e5. I never knew that. Funny thing was that in round 13 of corus what do I see?

2 nadjourf with e5's!!! One was vs Anand and he took care of it 🙂
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 00:05
    Originally posted by STRATOSPH3R3
    "The Sicilian" by Mario Puzo is a great book (analyses the games of Giuliano v Carabinieri) 😉
    My dad has got this on on his bookshelf, but it has nothing to do with chess?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree