Hammerschleg King

Hammerschleg King

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by reyotch
I really think it's funny all of the people responding so negatively to this opening! It's true that objectively this opening is probably not the best, but that is true for a lot of the plays people make. It's a fun opening that has some merit. Plus, it's a fresh way to play a game of chess and sharpens your analysis of positions.

In my experience, m ...[text shortened]... I'll be glad to play a set position game with the diagram provided to see how it works.
I completely agree.

s

Moves
27 May 08

I really think it's funny all of the people responding so negatively to this opening! It's true that objectively this opening is probably not the best, but that is true for a lot of the plays people make. It's a fun opening that has some merit. Plus, it's a fresh way to play a game of chess and sharpens your analysis of positions.

In my experience, m ...[text shortened]... I'll be glad to play a set position game with the diagram provided to see how it works.
'not the best' is quite the understatement.

It's not flexible. You can't castle anymore after move 2. White has made no claim in the centre, nor has he developed any pieces whatsoever. If black develops normally then I believe he will gain at least a small advantage from the opening. That suffices for me to say it is an unsound opening.

Ofcourse the idea is psychological: try to let your opponent overextend his position, make him try to refute it. If he lets you get away with a good position after having played such a silly opening he'll think twice about that.

But you don't have to play 1. f3 and 2. Kf2 to achieve that. I've played lots of offbeat openings over the past few years. I've played 1. f4, bird's opening. I've played all kinds of queen's pawn games. as black I've played philidor's defense and I'm trying nimzowitsch's defense (1. e4 Nc6) at the moment. versus 1. d4 my main weapon is black knight's tango, and lately I've also been trying the Chigorin.

I regard all of these as sound - however, my opponents do not always think the bird is completely sound, and certainly not the nimzowitsch defense. Sometimes there are attempts to refute them, and those attempts haven't worked so far. More often my opponents play careless in the opening. As if it is not so hard for them to get a good position afte r such a weak opening by me. This often means easy equality as black and an advantage as white for me.

My point is, why play these bilge starting moves from which you objectively speaking will get at least a slightly inferior position, to lure your opponent to an all out attack, when you can achieve the same thing with more sound openings?

Moves
27 May 08
2 edits

Originally posted by schakuhr

It's not flexible. You can't castle anymore after move 2. White has made no claim in the centre, nor has he developed any pieces whatsoever. If black develops normally then I believe he will gain at least a small advantage from the opening. That suffices for me to say it is an unsound opening.

Ofcourse the i all out attack, when you can achieve the same thing with more sound openings?
You don't get the same psychological advantage when you play the phillidor or the nimzowitsch defense. The more off beat the opening is, the more psycological advantage you get.

And people tend to know the lines of sound openings, nobody espects to ever run into the Hammerschlag. So it forces your opponent to think for himself in the opening and the plan that usually arrises is, attack the "exposed king".
I agree it is alot harder to gain equality if black plays correctly, but black almost never does so, unless they are rated 2100+, but in that case I would lose with any opening.

r

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by schakuhr

My point is, why play these bilge starting moves from which you objectively speaking will get at least a slightly inferior position, to lure your opponent to an all out attack, when you can achieve the same thing with more sound openings?
What's the big deal? No one is suggesting that someone playing for a master's rating should use this opening.

For players in the sub-1800 range, i think it's actually quite an interesting opening. One reason why is that it looks much worse than it is...another is that it's going to produce interesting positions. Of the dozen or so games i've played with this opening, they have all been interesting and made me think hard about how to develop next.

The point is that for some (myself included) chess is not about winning games. For me it's about experiencing beautiful positions and thinking and every once in a while coming up with a brilliancy.

One method of playing chess is to play the same opening time and time again and memorize the variations and beat other players just through experience. But frankly this bores me...I'm more from the Fischer random mentality.

If your idea of a fun game is to quickly enter into a wildly deviant structure then you could do a lot worse than the Hammerschlag!

t

Moves
28 May 08

What of this opening without moving the king.

So

1.f3
2a. e3
2b. h4 (prevent the queen from swinging out to that position, if it is possible, since you can no longer protect with Nf3)
3.d4

This leaves you with a powerful central attack, open bishop lanes, room to swing knights around at no material loss and only a slight tempo loss.

So far this modified has worked solidly for me, although I feel what I've done is just transposed into a different opening.

S

Moves
28 May 08

...In my experience, most games are NOT decided by the opening anyway...
True, and 1.a4 2.h4 is perfectly playable if Black hangs a piece in the middlegame. It doesn't stop the Hammerschlag from being unsound though.
The line I gave is perfectly playable for Black providing he doesn't continue to push pawns or allow minor piece exchanges.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
28 May 08
1 edit

I think several of the disagreements in this thread revolve around the definition of "unsound."

Personally, I think that an opening is only "unsound" if that opening results in a material deficit
without adequate positional compensation. On the other hand, there are several openings that
may not be the strongest objectively, but I disagree that these openings are necessarily "unsound."

S

Moves
28 May 08

Originally posted by wittywonka
I think several of the disagreements in this thread revolve around the definition of "unsound."

Personally, I think that an opening is only "unsound" if that opening results in a material deficit
without adequate positional compensation. On the other hand, there are several openings that
may not be the strongest objectively, but I disagree that these openings are necessarily "unsound."
I also think a refutation of an idea or theme can be relevant to the opening.
Preparing an active king for the endgame on move 2 & hoping to safely exchange down are some of the ideas up for refutation here.

rb

Behind the computer.

Moves
28 May 08

Can we seriously hope to have a complete exchange? Active kings are near useless without at least queens and rooks gone. Is this what you would WANT to play?

S

Moves
28 May 08

Originally posted by KnightStalker47
Yes, I would much rather be white in this position against any rated opposition. Again 5..c6 is very common and can be met by 6.Nc3.
I have played this variation many times in blitz, it is better for white.

Here is a good example game Game 3407527
Game 3407527
6...Bb4 then exchanging is playing into White's hands.

6...Be7 7.cxd5 cxd5 then what?

t

Moves
28 May 08

But if you know they don't want to exchange you can push their pieces around by threatening them with their protected counterpart giving you a positional advantage.

r

Moves
28 May 08

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Game 3407527

[fen]rnbqk2r/pp2bppp/5n2/3p4/3Pp3/2N1PP2/PP3KPP/R1BQ1BNR w kq - 0 8[/fen]
I'd probably play Bb5+, followed by Ne2-Nf4. Re1 will follow.

I think more interesting than discussing it might be to play a game... how about it?

Moves
28 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Game 3407527

[fen]rnbqk2r/pp2bppp/5n2/3p4/3Pp3/2N1PP2/PP3KPP/R1BQ1BNR w kq - 0 8[/fen]
I would play 8.Bb5+ Bd7 9.Bxd7 Qxd7 10.Ne2 O-O 11.Nf4 Nc6 12.Qb3

Send over a challenge to me too. I bet both reyotch and I could beat you using the Hammerschlag.

S

Moves
28 May 08

I'd probably play Bb5+, followed by Ne2-Nf4. Re1 will follow.

I think more interesting than discussing it might be to play a game... how about it?
Nah - I don't play forum challenges after getting beaten by 2 instant experts in Morra games even though I've been playing that relatively obscure opening with around 70+% wins for a couple of years now.

S

Moves
28 May 08

Originally posted by KnightStalker47

Send over a challenge to me too. I bet both reyotch and I could beat you using the Hammerschlag.
No thanks.
As I say, after my previous experience with forum challenges I am 100% certain you will both win!