1. Corvallis, Oregon
    Moves
    18 May '06 20:38
    I have a lot of international travel coming up and I am considering purchasing a handheld chess computer. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am looking for a standalone model, not a program for a PDA or cell phone.
  2. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    18 May '06 20:43
    Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
    I have a lot of international travel coming up and I am considering purchasing a handheld chess computer. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am looking for a standalone model, not a program for a PDA or cell phone.
    With your rating on here, I suggest the $25 e-chess & checkers sold at Radioshack. It has a 1700 rating strength. Back when I had your rating I couldn't beat it at LEVEL 72 (1700 rating), but after the Lev Alburt course, I can beat it every time. Anyway, that handheld is just fine for travel and it also has a flip-flop function to checkers as well. If you really want to splurge though, I suggest getting the hand-held FRITZ or one of the 2000 rated hand helds from the U.S. Chess Federation. I've also seen some MASTER rated hand helds. But, let's face it, with your rating on here, a Radioshack e-chess should do the trick. Cheers!
  3. Earth Prime
    Moves
    18 May '06 22:52
    Originally posted by powershaker
    But, let's face it, with your rating on here, a Radioshack e-chess should do the trick. Cheers!
    he's undefeated.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '06 23:19
    Originally posted by Coconut
    he's undefeated.
    but he's been playing douchebags
  5. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 May '06 00:06
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    I think that term is more appropriate for personalities than chess ratings. 😛
  6. Earth Prime
    Moves
    19 May '06 00:10
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    Doesn't matter. You can't make any judgements by his rating when he's undefeated and provisional.
  7. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 May '06 13:242 edits
    Novag Star Diamond ( ~ + 2300 elo) is a good purchase,even for its price
    it allows people to learn and improve owing to analysis/teacher functions and elo ratings (of the player)
  8. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 May '06 14:24
    i would strongly suggest getting a pocket pc instead of a dedicated unit. with a ppc you can get a much stronger engine than the best chess handheld, (pocket grandmaster for example) with better graphics and more options.
    Also, you can get some great chess programs from convekta, including chess tactics 3, pocket chess strategy, chess endgames etc.
  9. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 May '06 14:302 edits
    otherwise a star sapphire which is a pda sized chess computer,same strength and same program as star diamond
  10. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    19 May '06 22:432 edits
    Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
    Dont get the Palm. I bought a Life Drive, and had to bring them back, each time the unit wouldnt work, or sync with my PC.
    I hear HP makes good hand helds.
    I got a phone pocket PC from my cell co. And was able to load intellichess, with atrial version. Seems to be weak, and then strong, has 3 levels, easy, good, and strong.
    the Novags are expensive, but you can get one that will be 2200 or 2500 strength. For the money, you can get a handheld PC, for almost the price of a good Novag.
    My advice is get a HP handheld, and pocket fritz.
    check www.epinions.com for unbiased reviews of handhelds
  11. Corvallis, Oregon
    Moves
    20 May '06 01:46
    Thank you for the recommendations. I will check them out. Perhaps I will look into a PDA. Might not be a bad thing to have.

(Also, as a point of interest, I think my record does reflect some chess ability, though for certain it is a little padded with a few timeouts and some weaker opponents. I would guess somewhere between 1400 and 1600 is my ability right now.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree