1. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 02:27
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    Yes, according to Wikipedia, and even according to my games, although I do lose this often enough. It's definitely the most common one. The play often goes something like this:
    [pgn]1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 Nc6 3. Bc4 g6 4. Qf3 Nf6 5. Qb3 Nd4 6. Qc3 b5 *[/pgn]
    or this:
    [pgn]1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 Nc6 3. Bc4 g6 4. Qf3 Nf6 5. c3 Bc5 *[/pgn]
    or this:
    [pgn]1. e4 e5 2 ...[text shortened]... this one is so common that I've learned all the moves, and at least I won't blunder early.
    On the first example why not 6...d5. White looks hosed to me. There's threats all over the place.

6...Nxe4 doesn't look bad either.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 04:32
    At my level I often have to play against opponents who seek an easy win by a queen strike in the opening. I know it's bad for you, so I don't do this, but I experience a lot of trouble handling this situation as a defender, especially in blitz and bullet, but also here. (Yes, I am playing some games with this happening, but I'm not asking for any comme ...[text shortened]... game, so I think the only way is to internalize as many patterns as possible. Am I right?
    In a RHP game, you can use and learn from a game database how to refute those gimicky early Q attacks.
  3. e4
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 10:21
    Why not play 2...Qh5 yourself and see the good and bad points
    from both sides of the board.

Try and use some of the ideas that have been played against you and store
    the Black ideas that give you trouble.

There is no forced win against it. Tom Tom's idea of saccing the e-pawn and
    aggresive developing seems to give Black enough play for the pawn.
  4. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 11:11
    Originally posted by moon1969
    In a RHP game, you can use and learn from a game database how to refute those gimicky early Q attacks.
    What database you mean? That would be great. Actually that's what I'm looking for. I've found a database for grandmaster level games, but in those games early queen attacks are too rare.
  5. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 11:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Why not play 2...Qh5 yourself and see the good and bad points
    from both sides of the board.

Try and use some of the ideas that have been played against you and store
    the Black ideas that give you trouble.

There is no forced win against it. Tom Tom's idea of saccing the e-pawn and
    aggresive developing seems to give Black enough play for the pawn.
    This is a great idea. Thanks.
  6. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 11:13
    Originally posted by savage4731
    On the first example why not 6...d5. White looks hosed to me. There's threats all over the place.

[pgn]1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 Nc6 3. Bc4 g6 4. Qf3 Nf6 5. Qb3 Nd4 6. Qc3 d5 [/pgn]

6...Nxe4 doesn't look bad either.
    What if after d5, white just goes for an exchange?
  7. e4
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 14:25
    The RHP Database is here.

http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 14:46
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The RHP Database is here.

http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/
    Great. Thank you.
  9. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 16:01
    What if after d5, white just goes for an exchange?
    You mean saccing the exchange?

If black captures on c2 and then the R on a1, white can't take back immediately. If black can consolidate his position, get castled and then get the knight out then black is up a R with a better position- It should be an easy forced win.

If white spends time going after the knight, black can spend that time building a much better position and still be up in material.

Give me a specific line.
  10. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 16:39
    Originally posted by savage4731
    You mean saccing the exchange?

If black captures on c2 and then the R on a1, white can't take back immediately. If black can consolidate his position, get castled and then get the knight out then black is up a R with a better position- It should be an easy forced win.

If white spends time going after the knight, black can spend that time building a much better position and still be up in material.

Give me a specific line.
    I meant 7. exd5, but then black plays Bb4 and white can't defend the rook. You're right, it's great move. I'll start playing it.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 17:07
    If I'm following the line correctly, chances are that at your level you'll end up taking the queen!
  12. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 17:33
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If I'm following the line correctly, chances are that at your level you'll end up taking the queen!
    Do you mean when white takes the bishop on b4? Right, this is very possible. I would probably do it in blitz without knowing the trap. (I hope I wouldn't do it in a correspondence game... But I don't play this opening as white anyway.)
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 19:34
    Yep, that's what I meant. Lower level people either don't learn or haven't been burned by such a set up yet.
  14. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 20:13
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Yep, that's what I meant. Lower level people either don't learn or haven't been burned by such a set up yet.
    I'm not so sure. I'm certainly low level, but I (hope I) would think twice before assuming my opponent is giving me his bishop for free. I mean, I'm unfortunately well able to assume that my opponent is making a mistake and move without much thought, but I not this kind of mistake. Few people just put their pieces on clearly attacked sqares without support unless they have something in mind.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 20:14
    I didn't say it would happen all the time. I simply said that you will probably see it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree