Hans Berliner

Hans Berliner

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senecio Jacobaea

Yorkshire

Moves
26 Jan 17
1 edit

I see that the ICCF are reporting the death of Hans Berliner, International Master, Former World Correspondence Champion and Grandmaster and prime mover in the the chess programming world of the 1980's, linking to this NYT article:-

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/business/hans-berliner-master-chess-player-and-programmer-dies-at-87.[WORD TOO LONG]

I have to say the famous WC clash between himself and Estrin in the Two Knight's Defence Fritz variation that I first saw analysed in Zagorovski's "Romantic Chess Openings" was one of the reasons I took up that variation myself until games against @atticus2 on here put me off.

RIP

Moves
26 Jan 17

He claimed 1. D4 is winning. I player over his 2 games inAlekhine defense with Fischer manu times. Controvrsial as chess Writer, wickyed as corr player

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
30 Jan 17

Originally posted by Ragwort
I see that the ICCF are reporting the death of Hans Berliner, International Master, Former World Correspondence Champion and Grandmaster and prime mover in the the chess programming world of the 1980's, linking to this NYT article:-

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/business/hans-berliner-master-chess-player-and-programmer-dies-at-87.html?rref=collection ...[text shortened]... reasons I took up that variation myself until games against @atticus2 on here put me off.

RIP
Hans won the world correspondence title when I was 12. A very strong player in his day, and a sad loss for the chess world. 😳

e4

Moves
30 Jan 17

Hi Ragwort,

The Estrin - Berliner 1965 C.C. game you mentioned,

Tim Harding donates 11 pages to this game in his 64 Great Chess Games (C.C.)

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
01 Feb 17

Originally posted by vandervelde
He claimed 1. D4 is winning. I player over his 2 games inAlekhine defense with Fischer manu times. Controvrsial as chess Writer, wickyed as corr player
I have always assumed that those games were what inspired Fischer to play Alekhine's Defense twice against Spassky. No higher compliment!