1. e4
    Moves
    29 Oct '14 22:501 edit
    I love the romance of Halloween. I usually get loads of cards.

So a special feature on the Halloween Gambit + the refutation.(of sorts).

Some good games saving up the best till last.

If you have played a good Halloween Gambit then post it in this thread (with notes please.)

Some may complain that it is not yet Halloween. Well this site has loads
    of different time zones. So what you do is wait and then read it on Halloween.

Blog 4

(I think I have found some evidence of a player getting outside help.)
  2. e4
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 14:53
    Hi,

Fanakick has posted in the blog:

"Zwischenzug it is indeed. I think it is used in English chess terminology as
    well, along with other german terms like Zugzwang or Luft. In return, there
    is for example no good expression for (winning/losing) the exchange in german. "

Although my blog was in slightly in jest I never knew that about no German
    word for winning/losing the exchange.

Has anyone noted that sometimes a Rook v Knight swap is called
    the 'Minor Exchange' and Rook v Bishop swap is called the 'Major Exchange.'?

Maybe the German lads can use that expression: Und Gross Exchange and
    and Sie Lesser Gross Exchange. Maybe, maybe not - over to you.
  3. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 15:321 edit
    Actually I think there are expressions for it. They're just not really good. If you go to the Wiki article "The exchange (chess)" and switch to german language, you are referred to "Qualitätsopfer" (exchange sacrifice). Officially we could call winning/losing the exchange "Qualitätsgewinn"/"Qualitätsverlust" (quality gain/loss). These terms exist, but I find them rather awkward (like "in-between-move" ) and not very accurate. Getting a queen for a knight is also a quality gain per definition.
  4. Standard memberelassasino
    king of vectors
    center squares :p
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 15:43
    agreed, but will go .5 global & suggest a merry fall festivus to ourselves ... & i wish we were in berlin ... & to our more southerly kin ... njoy a glorious spring :}
    Here in Arizona & much of the USA, many homonid males thoughts are turning to another great "game"; hunting the wiley desert stags, so i'll be out of the digital blizzard for several days soon :p w/ luck the camping will be gr8t & the deer will avert & outfox our best efforts!

Cheers
  5. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 09:424 edits
  6. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 10:27
    Hi KnightStalker, nice game and annotations!

However, the algebraic notation is a little confusing. There are some errors you may wish to correct.
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 10:32
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Has anyone noted that sometimes a Rook v Knight swap is called
    the 'Minor Exchange' and Rook v Bishop swap is called the 'Major Exchange.'?
    Hi,

According to wikipedia, 'minor exchange' is used for the exchange of bishop and knight.
  8. e4
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 14:27
    Hi Knightstalker.

This is typical of the games I was looking for the blog. Black sees a
    couple of ghosts and White crashes through.

(Pity it was not St.Valentine's Day I could have used a lot of spooky ghosts for that one.)
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 16:04
    Originally posted by Fanakick
    Actually I think there are expressions for it. They're just not really good. If you go to the Wiki article "The exchange (chess)" and switch to german language, you are referred to "Qualitätsopfer" (exchange sacrifice). Officially we could call winning/losing the exchange "Qualitätsgewinn"/"Qualitätsverlust" (quality gain/loss). These terms exist, but I fin ...[text shortened]... ve" ) and not very accurate. Getting a queen for a knight is also a quality gain per definition.
    There must be a German word for this. German words for swap are tauschen and wechseln, one of them could be prefixed by über or unter to indicate material gain or sacrifice, so untertauschen would mean sacrificing the exchange or überwechseln for winning the exchange.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Nov '14 23:281 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    There must be a German word for this. German words for swap are tauschen and wechseln, one of them could be prefixed by über or unter to indicate material gain or sacrifice, so untertauschen would mean sacrificing the exchange or überwechseln for winning the exchange.
    I am attending a GM Lars Bo Hansen training class this weekend, and I will ask him. He played in the Bundesliga for a long time, and his Deutsch ist ausgezeichnet.

I suppose any of us could ask him on his facebook page- either his personal one (he is a very friendly GM) or his "Orlando Chess House" page.

I would recommend that everyone check them out!
  11. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    04 Nov '14 14:38
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    These sound funny in german ears 🙂 tauschen ist surely closer. Tausch or Abtausch are terms for swapping off pieces.

Well, über/untertauschen.. why not?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree