1. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 18:12
    To all those people who were chess players in the glory days, i.e. before computers could wipe the floor with everyone, do you think that chess has lost some of its magic?
    By the time I started playing Deep Blue had been sold for parts and I can't help but feel a little sad that I missed out on the days when a move was beautiful rather than just correct.
  2. Standard memberKrapsparov
    Don't baptise cats!!
    Manchester
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 18:22
    There is no art in a computer though!!
    I don't care if I loose to a computer because it does not mean anything - I can't see the point in playing one.
    I think the magic still exists in the world of human chess, however, computers do not!!!
  3. back in business
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 18:301 edit
    yes. computers are slowly killing the chess. sooner or later there will be a computer which finds a forced win for white on move 1.
  4. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 19:04
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    yes. computers are slowly killing the chess. sooner or later there will be a computer which finds a forced win for white on move 1.
    I'd be willing to wager heavily against this ever happening. For two reasons, really; one, it would actually have to be able to 'solve' chess (which given the total number of possible positions, will likely never truly be possible - though with pruning it's a somewhat simpler job); and more importantly, because white to move on move 1 is probably a draw. 🙂
  5. Joined
    27 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 19:211 edit
    Yes, eventually you'll be able to get a handheld chess computer that plays 3500+ chess at the checkout aisle of your grocery store. True, people will always chess, but devoting serious study to it will seem as quaint as memorizing log tables.
  6. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 19:33
    You can still compete in it, because there is probably no way a human could learn all that theory anyway.

And to me, correctness is beauty =)
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 20:20
    people still run competatively, regardless of that there's been faster ways to go forth for quite a long time now. hell, we even walk competatively.
  8. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 20:54
    Originally posted by Knightlore
    Hypothetically , take a typical chess player and give them access to a computer that plays chess perfectly. Let them study this for 10 years.

Now, take that player and let them play a match against, e.g., Morphy, who obviously didn't get access to such theory.

I know which player my money would be on. Then we'd see the magic of chess versus the myth that memorisation is the key.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 21:32
    I really do not like chess engines. For one, they won't let you play games like this:

Game 2781914
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 22:54
    If computers are "killing" chess, then how come more people than ever are playing it? I believe that computers have helped chess to grow and become more popular.
  11. Santa Clara, CA
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 03:28
    i didn't live in the "glory days" but i don't think computers are ruining chess. computers are computers and men are men. if a computer can figure out how to beat you no matter what, people aren't just going to say "ok game over, not point in playing anymore". it's a computer! i find much more satisfaction in beating a friend than in beating some random free chess engine i salvaged. there's a huge separation in my mind between human chess and computer chess. and since no human person can win ALL THE TIME, then chess will always be the immortal game.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 03:31
    Originally posted by Piisgood
    I really do not like chess engines. For one, they won't let you play games like this:

Game 2781914
    Chess engines can play better - and you've posted that game twice now, we've already seen it.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 04:29
    No.

This has been another edition of Simple Answers to RHP threads.
  14. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 06:292 edits
    Or perhaps a forced win for Black! Because White had to make the first commitment! 😲
  15. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 15:10
    Yes! maybe at some point the people will decide to remove computers from chess field, and the magic might be back.

Ban computers from chess!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree