Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 21 Jul '12 15:18
    A Rick Kennedy (Hi Rick) review of 'I Stink At Chess!' by David Iwaniw

    http://www.chessville.com/reviews/IStinkatChess.htm

    I was struck by this:

    "To develop his game, he began acquiring and reading books by the masters.
    It was then that he discovered that most top players, and many chess writers,
    do not have a grasp on how amateur players think."

    That is my main gripe as well and if I do another book. (and why not, I'd fill it
    with RHP games and you lot will buy it!!) then this is the angle I will be coming in from.

    Apparently 'I Stink at Chess' comes in at $5.00. I'll settle for that.
    (that is my other gripe - expensive chess books which are 90% computer dumps.)
    I'm going to get a copy. (you cannot argue with $5.00) It will not look out of place of my library shelf.
  2. 21 Jul '12 16:07
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "To develop his game, he began acquiring and reading books by the masters.
    It was then that he discovered that most top players, and many chess writers,
    do not have a grasp on how amateur players think."
    Top players/chess writers do not have a grasp of how amateurs play? Patzer sees check pater gives check.
  3. 21 Jul '12 17:08
    For a mere $5, you too can stink at chess. hehe
  4. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    21 Jul '12 17:58
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    A Rick Kennedy (Hi Rick) review of 'I Stink At Chess!' by David Iwaniw

    http://www.chessville.com/reviews/IStinkatChess.htm

    I was struck by this:

    "To develop his game, he began acquiring and reading books by the masters.
    It was then that he discovered that most top players, and many chess writers,
    do not have a grasp on how amateur players th ...[text shortened]... copy. (you cannot argue with $5.00) It will not look out of place of my library shelf.
    Most of us want to know how the Grandmaster thinks at chess.
  5. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    21 Jul '12 18:39
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    A Rick Kennedy (Hi Rick) review of 'I Stink At Chess!' by David Iwaniw

    http://www.chessville.com/reviews/IStinkatChess.htm

    I was struck by this:

    "To develop his game, he began acquiring and reading books by the masters.
    It was then that he discovered that most top players, and many chess writers,
    do not have a grasp on how amateur players th ...[text shortened]... copy. (you cannot argue with $5.00) It will not look out of place of my library shelf.
    I'll pocket the fiver, I already stink up the board all on my own.
  6. Standard member hedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    21 Jul '12 19:18 / 2 edits
    [i]Originally posted by greenpawn34[/b] Apparently 'I Stink at Chess' comes in at $5.00. I'll settle for that.
    (that is my other gripe - expensive chess books which are 90% computer dumps.)
    I'm going to get a copy. (you cannot argue with $5.00) It will not look out of place of my library shelf.[/b]
    That would be the most money you've spent on a chess book in your life.
  7. 21 Jul '12 19:18
    I thought this was another thread about me
  8. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    21 Jul '12 23:02
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    I thought this was another thread about me
    Many of us will join you in the next edition, so we'll celebrate our inclusion in the anthology together!
  9. 21 Jul '12 23:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Many of us will join you in the next edition, so we'll celebrate our inclusion in the anthology together!
    The revised edition will be "I Still Stink At Chess".

    The foreward will contain testimonials from readers of the first edition:

    "There is no denying that the author stinks."

    "There is truth in chess advertising after all!"

    "I applaud the author for his honesty! I can only hope the author stinks at other games as well."

    "The author uses a unique teaching technique, unique in the fact that you will actually play worse by reading! Not many chess books on the market can offer that."

    "Well Titled"

    Edit: Note that this is all in jest. Please don't take this too seriously. In all honestly, $5 is a very reasonable price for a book, and the author may actually have some interesting/instructive information in the book. I really have no idea.
  10. 22 Jul '12 10:43
    I´ll stick with all fashioned bogus advertizing secret:: I am not selling them better chess skill, I am selling them hope that they will some day play better chess.
  11. 22 Jul '12 11:25
    Originally posted by hedonist
    That would be the most money you've spent on a chess book in your life.
    I'm in touch with the author, I'm haggling.
  12. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    22 Jul '12 11:56
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    The revised edition will be "I Still Stink At Chess".

    The foreward will contain testimonials from readers of the first edition:

    "There is no denying that the author stinks."

    "There is truth in chess advertising after all!"

    "I applaud the author for his honesty! I can only hope the author stinks at other games as well."

    "The auth ...[text shortened]... have some interesting/instructive information in the book. I really have no idea.
    Each of us could probably provide a game where we lost and learned from it, and it might end up being a good collection of lessons.

    So often books are written from the perspective of the winner, that it might be more than just a novelty to view the games from the perspective of the loser to see what we might learn from them.
  13. 22 Jul '12 13:00
    Hi Paul.

    A nice idea but I fear it would read like a book of 'the best ever excuses for
    losing a game of chess' (there is the title).

    The real benefit of being a good chess player is that you can see your lose
    coming a long way off and you have plenty of time to think up your excuse.

    Some completley outplayed players sit there and don't move till they are deep in
    time trouble and then say: "Oh, I was doing OK till I got into time trouble..."
    And happy that their ego has been restored they forget about the game.

    Coming home to a rabid frothing at the mouth wife at 3.00am...Now that is time trouble.

    "No one is interested in excuses." (there is the title of the sequal.)
    Bobby Fischer giving advice in Boys Life.
  14. 22 Jul '12 14:33
    I thought this thread was about me.
  15. Standard member hedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    22 Jul '12 14:45
    There is a good book called "Chess for the Rank and File". It's basically one guy charting his rise from beginner to 2000+ player. Lots of fun games from when he was 1500, then 1700 etc. A lot of the games are the authors loses. Not a great instructional book as it mainly just gives general guidelines, but a fun read. which for me is much more important. Highly recommended.