1. Joined
    15 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 07:391 edit
    Hello all,

I found this place(redhotpawn.com) few weeks ago and I think this is great place to learn and play this great game of chess! Thank you host !

I hope this thread-idea isin't already beat to dead, but as a new player I would like to hear good old players how to deal playing as a black. I usually play my games to the point: how Id like to say: "defending to freeze death" and that isin't so good way to play.

How you guys try to turn it around? Just waiting to other player to do first mistake or what? I know Im a lot more aggressive when I play white side and if Im black I just waiting my turn to be more aggressive?

Sorry about my lousy spelling. My domestic language isint english.

Im ready for all challenges and learning this game,
    Ville - from Finland
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 13:19
    Originally posted by ville75
    Hello all,

I found this place(redhotpawn.com) few weeks ago and I think this is great place to learn and play this great game of chess! Thank you host !

I hope this thread-idea isin't already beat to dead, but as a new player I would like to hear good old players how to deal playing as a black. I usually play my games to the point: how Id like to say: ...[text shortened]... isint english.

Ville - from Finland
    Welcome to the site- and your English is fine, and certainly better than my Finnish!

Your question is fundamentally significant with no easy answer. At the risk of overgeneralizing, some black openings are more geared towards equalizing, while others are less concerned about equality and more concerned about counterplay, and counterattacking in particular.

At the risk of severely overgeneralizing and in spite of many exceptions, 1. d4 d5 players and 1. e4 e5 players tend to be more focused on equalizing, while 1. d4 Nf6 or 1. e4 c5 players tend to focus more on counterplay opportunities.

(Marshall Attack and Queen's Indian players are rightfully rolling their eyes at me now, and for good reason!)

There are multiple approaches and lots of opinions, and the choice comes down to you more than the board, most of the time!

Personally, I've always preferred play and activity over equality, but that says more about me than the game.
  3. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 14:12
    You know you have the right to use books and databases for the openings.

Check in a database for the moves which make Black wins more often in a particular opening.

You can play more defensively or more agressively depending on your oppenent's strength.

Against a strong opponent, you can use defensive openings such as the French Defense against 1 e4 or the Queen's Gambit Declined in case of 1 d4.

If your opponent is weaker, you can try a more counter-attacking opening such as the Sicilian against 1 e4 or the King's Indian with 1 d4.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 14:24
    Originally posted by ville75
    Hello all,

I hope this thread-idea isin't already beat to dead, but as a new player I would like to hear good old players how to deal playing as a black. I usually play my games to the point: how Id like to say: ...[text shortened]... isint english.

Ville - from Finland
    if you wanna attack as black, there's no reason you can't do it. but you generally need to give up something to gain the initiative. maybe material or a positional advantage. anything to bait white to waste a few tempi, so you can gain the initiative. but it won't be free. or, more precisely, you can't force your opponent to make mistakes, you need to trade something to get the initiative.

'jos haluu saada on pakko antaa'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree