1. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 19:34
    Hey everyone. I'm new to these forums, and I have a question about a line in Alekhine's Def. that I would like to share with you. I am an avid fan of Alekhine for Black, and have played this line with good results in many games. It wasn't until I was playing the "Positional" setting on Chessmaster that I realized how powerful it is (or at least the computer's inablility to gleam a good "position" after the trade.
    Here goes. 1)e4 Nf6 2)Nc3... (against this I almost always move d5 which does two things for me: I love to play openly, for it suits my tactical style. And if White doesn't choose to trade material in the center, then odds are good for a Queen trade, and Black is better.)
    2)...d5 3)e5 d4 4)exN dxN 5)fxg7 cxd2 6)Qxd2 QxQ 7)Resigns.
    This blew me away. I knew that Black was better in this position, for: 7)BxQ Bxg7 and White has to waste a move protecting the long dark diagonal while I can develop my Queenside pieces and castle that way. However, according to a computer (at least this one), which is playing a positional style, Black is MUCH better. Any thoughts? Also, if my analyzation is flawed, please let me know. Thanks all.

-D
  2. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 19:41
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Hey everyone. I'm new to these forums, and I have a question about a line in Alekhine's Def. that I would like to share with you. I am an avid fan of Alekhine for Black, and have played this line with good results in many games. It wasn't until I was playing the "Positional" setting on Chessmaster that I realized how powerful it is (or at least the ...[text shortened]... ny thoughts? Also, if my analyzation is flawed, please let me know. Thanks all.

-D
    I hate playing the Alekhine. It seems rubbish to me (although admittedly I am only a humble 1490 rated player) because of games I have played as White where it goes;
    1. e4 Nf6
    2. e5 Nd5
    3. c4 Nb6
    4. d4
    and I have a far greater positional advantage than Black.
    But there are many ways, I think, of playing the Alekhine, so that is just one variation.
  3. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 19:461 edit
    That is the Four Pawn Attack variation. White's best choice I think against Alekhine. But, I was talking about positions which are reached by the moves I listed. Thanks though. Oh, on a side note: Alekhine is designed to MAKE White feel overconfident and over-extend his pawn center. Thus setting up many flanking possibilities.

Oh, and d6 follows your d4. Your move ;-)
  4. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 20:42
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Hey everyone. I'm new to these forums, and I have a question about a line in Alekhine's Def. that I would like to share with you. I am an avid fan of Alekhine for Black, and have played this line with good results in many games. It wasn't until I was playing the "Positional" setting on Chessmaster that I realized how powerful it is (or at least the ...[text shortened]... ny thoughts? Also, if my analyzation is flawed, please let me know. Thanks all.

-D
    Black isn't better. It's an equal position. 8.c3 would be inferior but the following are fine for white.

8.O-O-O Nc6 9.Ne2 Bg7 10. Bc3 Rg8 11.Bxg7 Rxg7 then Nc3, g3, Bg2
    or

8.O-O-O Nc6 9.Bb5 Bd7 then Nf3, Bf4, Rhe1 ( or if Nf3 O-O-O, Rhe1 e6, Ng5! Rdf8, f4 h6, Nf3)
  5. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 20:46
    Then any opinions as to why the computer resigned here? Thanks for the analyzation too.
  6. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 20:58
    Originally posted by Alethia
    I hate playing the Alekhine. It seems rubbish to me (although admittedly I am only a humble 1490 rated player) because of games I have played as White where it goes;
    1. e4 Nf6
    2. e5 Nd5
    3. c4 Nb6
    4. d4
    and I have a far greater positional advantage than Black.
    But there are many ways, I think, of playing the Alekhine, so that is just one variation.
    White might be slightly better here, but keep in mind that those pawns can't move backwards. That's the whole point of the Alekhine, it's that Black lures those pawns forward and attacks them with everything he's got, and puts his pieces on all the week squares left behind. It's pretty interesting overall, but with best play, I think White's better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree