What do you mean by psychology?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 08:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Psychology comes from two words: psyche and logos. Psyche is the greek word which means soul or spirit, loosely translated as mind. Logos means knowledge or study. Hence, Psychology was originally defined as: the study of the mind.

Psychology is the key mind science because it is the understanding of how perception governs behaviour. How we think affects everything else.

Psychology is about understanding. It is about understanding people and the mind.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201112/deadly-mind-traps
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 11:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Psychology comes from two words: psyche and logos. Psyche is the greek word which means soul or spirit, loosely translated as mind. Logos means knowledge or study. Hence, Psychology was originally defined as: the study of the mind.

Psychology is the key mind science because it is the understanding of how perception governs behaviour. How we think affects ...[text shortened]... nding people and the mind.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201112/deadly-mind-traps
    That's a nice article and duly noted but what does that have to do with analyzing positions in chess? I don't see a connection between anything in that article and chess.
    That article was talking about life situations, don't hang on to that basket if the frigging balloon is going up in the air and so forth, fine advice but seems more than a bit of a stretch to turn that into some kind of chess lesson.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 16:21
    That's a nice article and duly noted but what does that have to do with analyzing positions in chess? I don't see a connection between anything in that article and chess.
    That article was talking about life situations, don't hang on to that basket if the frigging balloon is going up in the air and so forth, fine advice but seems more than a bit of a stretch to turn that into some kind of chess lesson.
    If you were given that position and told to look for a checkmate in a number of moves, you would have seen that checkmate in your game. However, your mind was not psychologically prepared for it, so you were looking for something less than the checkmate. It is the same reason many of us do not see a tactic in our own games, but see them when we are trying to solve a tactical chess problem. We must learn to take the auto-pilot off in our own games. Of course, this is easier said than done because we are psychological creatures.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 04:19
    'Psychology' is code for thinking up the moves yourself.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 11:32
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    'Psychology' is code for thinking up the moves yourself.
    Oh man, I'm in deep doo doo now then๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree