Here's a good study plan...

Here's a good study plan...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
The Rams

Moves
13 Apr 09

This is my typical week, just trying to get feedback or put this out there for others to use. I'm rated 1600-1700 OTB, but I think this plan will help ANYONE who wants to improve. Personally, I'm pretty strong in chess tactics (but often can miss stuff in timed games); never have studied endgame. My goal is to improve my timed, weekend games. I have actually seen some significant improvement lately.

------------

M-F all days are supplemented with some 5/5 blitz games.

Monday: 45 tactics problems; 15 from "Sharpen Your Tactics", 25 from a server*** (This yields about 30-45 minutes of solid training).

Tuesday: Silman's Endgame Course. 30 minutes. Once I get to my rating level (1600-1799) in the book, this day will feature 1 endgame lesson (rather than 30 mins). I also do 25 chess tactics from an online server***

Wednesday: Repeat of Monday

Thursday: Repeat of Tuesday

Friday: Cludi's blog; work on one of the Test Yourself games - you try to predict the moves the masters made in a game and you are scored. I also read articles on this day, analyze my own games that I completed in correspondence over the week. Point is to ANALYZE games, and read articles from good players (check out chess.com). Another resources occasionally used on Friday includes Chess Mentor (a program prepared by a variety of masters). This day is just a day to utilize some other resource that you may have. I also do my daily 25 server tactics

Saturday / Sunday: 1 or 2 60 minute (60 / 0) timed rated games. On both days I do my daily 25 tactics from the server***

***Please PM me if you are interested in the BEST website to do your tactical training. Honestly - the BEST on the net. I do not want to post it in the forums here, that would be rude to the owners of this site.

M

Moves
13 Apr 09

And no positional analysis... How can you improve without it?

R
The Rams

Moves
13 Apr 09

Isn't that what I'm doing on Friday when I look over Master's games? Cludi's blog serves that purpose well, I think, unless you mean something else.

M

Moves
13 Apr 09

Well, I think I would make things like this:
Monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday: positional analysis.
And maybe, here and there, some tactics for fun.

R

Moves
13 Apr 09

Nice study plan.
Your approach has been challenged.I propose a match:
ramned(USA),the tactical school vs macpo(?),the positional school 🙂

I back ramned with a purse of 5000(fictional) euro's.

rc

Moves
13 Apr 09

Originally posted by Romanticus
Nice study plan.
Your approach has been challenged.I propose a match:
ramned(USA),the tactical school vs macpo(?),the positional school 🙂

I back ramned with a purse of 5000(fictional) euro's.
ill take them odds and raise you a further 5000 Euros, for solely basing ones moves on tactical considerations seems to me, quite superficial, for no doubt, Macpo is also very tactically aware, but if there are no sound combinations to exploit then his positional awareness will make some! Most important question one should ask, evaluate this position!🙂

M

Moves
13 Apr 09

Watch out! I can be easily corrupted...

R
The Rams

Moves
13 Apr 09

Uh oh, I wouldn't bet on me!

R

Moves
13 Apr 09

No worries,I'm loaded with fictional euro's.Absolutely loaded! 🙂

g

Moves
14 Apr 09

Thought experiment proposed by Michael de la Maza:

Have two "C" players play each other. But give Player A the tactical awareness of a Grandmaster, and give Player B the positional understanding of a Grandmaster. Who would likely win a 24-game match between the two of them?

R

Moves
14 Apr 09

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
Thought experiment proposed by Michael de la Maza:

Have two "C" players play each other. But give Player A the tactical awareness of a Grandmaster, and give Player B the positional understanding of a Grandmaster. Who would likely win a 24-game match between the two of them?
No doubt in my mind the tactician wins.
Btw,have you perhaps tried delamaza's study plan?Is it worth the effort?

g

Moves
17 Apr 09

Originally posted by Romanticus
No doubt in my mind the tactician wins.
Btw,have you perhaps tried delamaza's study plan?Is it worth the effort?
I haven't tried is plan, but I agree with him that the most important key to improvement is to study tactics. de la Maza answered his thought experiment my saying that the C-player with a GM tactical eye would win almost every game against the C-player with a GM's understanding of positional play. All the positional understanding in the world is virtually useless if you can't see three moves ahead.