1. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 10:33
    Played this once a few years ago. Interesting variation of the game. Hexagons instead of squares, three colours for the hexagons (black, white and grey), three bishops etc. Would anyone be interested in having this as an extra option on RHP?
  2. out on bail
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 14:33
    No
  3. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 15:30
    Originally posted by michael liddle
    No
    You speak for the whole RHP?
  4. out on bail
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 18:09
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    you asked would anyone be interested... as'anyone', I answered no. Were you expecting someone to answer for the whole of RHP?
  5. Joined
    27 Nov '10
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 20:38
    you asked would anyone be interested... as'anyone', I answered no. Were you expecting someone to answer for the whole of RHP?
    Isn't the correct answer "I don't know if anyone would be interested. But I am not"? But if you all hang on a while, I'll settle this once and for all. I'll go and ask them. This may take some time. Talk amongst yourselves...
  6. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    21 Apr '12 20:47
    I asked if "anyone" would be interested. The word "anyone" implies just that - any person. You answered "no", implying that no person would be interested. I then questioned your right to speak for the whole of RHP. Your correct answer should have been: "I am not interested". BTW, have you ever played hexagonal chess?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 01:36
    Played this once a few years ago. Interesting variation of the game. Hexagons instead of squares, three colours for the hexagons (black, white and grey), three bishops etc. Would anyone be interested in having this as an extra option on RHP?
    never played but extras are always welcome!
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 07:25
    Here are the resutls of the vote on variants:

[vid]17[/vid]
  9. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 07:40
    Originally posted by raiox
    Here are the resutls of the vote on variants:

[vid]17[/vid]
    Mmmm...interesting. Only 15.4% of the respondents indicated a willingness to play other variants of the game - I am assuming that includes hexagonal chess, though that was not specified. I find that a rather depressing statistic. 85% of RHP are so fixed in their ways that they are not open to try new forms of the game by way of amusement, entertainment or intellectual challenge. Rather like bigoted theists!
  10. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 08:24
    Mmmm...interesting. Only 15.4% of the respondents indicated a willingness to play other variants of the game - I am assuming that includes hexagonal chess, though that was not specified. I find that a rather depressing statistic. 85% of RHP are so fixed in their ways that they are not open to try new forms of the game by way of amusement, entertainment or intellectual challenge. Rather like bigoted theists!
    As a (hopefully) non-bigoted and (certainly) non-theist, I was one of the 85% you choose to insult. I have tried other variants and got little enjoyment from them. I find regular chess to be a sufficient intellectual challenge - perhaps I might consider variations when I can consistently play at a 2000+ level. Anyway, the vote seems to provide an answer to your original question, that answer being "no, not many".
  11. e4
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 11:221 edit
    Hi Piano man

By coincidence a game by your fellow musician 'Average painist' User 398317
    is appearing on the next blog. (he plays the right idea but it's the wrong note.)

He too appears to enjoy a chess variant, his profile states he plays something
    called 'Red Wine Chess.'

This site:

http://www.chessvariants.org/

Has everything you need. My guess is most of the lads here just want a site
    dedicated to the noble game. Nothing wrong with that.

A game called 'Swords' is one I played as a kid.
    The board was set up so:

You turned the board diagonally so the corners faced you and then it
    just like Chinese Checks/Draughts. You take his men like you do in draughts
    but you can jump over your own men. There are no crowns.
    All men can move backwards.

So the pawn on e7 can capture the White b2 pawn by going e7-g5-e3-c1-a3.
  12. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 12:38
    Would you have taken this tone if he'd said "yes" ?
  13. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 15:50
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Would you have taken this tone if he'd said "yes" ?
    No tone. Just a question.
    Anyway, I guess I got the answer. Nobody is interested. Oh well.
  14. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 15:53
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    As a (hopefully) non-bigoted and (certainly) non-theist, I was one of the 85% you choose to insult. I have tried other variants and got little enjoyment from them. I find regular chess to be a sufficient intellectual challenge - perhaps I might consider variations when I can consistently play at a 2000+ level. Anyway, the vote seems to provide an answer to your original question, that answer being "no, not many".
    I'm sorry if you feel insulted. However, reading through my comments they were a bit strong, and I apologise.
    Yes, obviously nothing can replace the original game. I am only a paltry 1500 or so rating, but i really enjoyed this variant of the game, just for a bit of entertainment.
    Anyway, the site has spoken. No interest.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 16:09
    Most of us are still trying to work out the original game. However, it is worth knowing that there is a variant chess here on RHP and that is Fischer chess, you can set up a game using the open invite - there is an option in 'set up own board'. There is a good argument that this can be used to improve your chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree