Hexagonal Chess

Hexagonal Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
24 Apr 12

Originally posted by Pianoman1
Played this once a few years ago. Interesting variation of the game. Hexagons instead of squares, three colours for the hexagons (black, white and grey), three bishops etc. Would anyone be interested in having this as an extra option on RHP?
I'd definitely support having hexagonal chess as an extra option on RHP. I feel that this is an excellent variant. Tactical ideas are similar to orthodox chess, but strategy can be quite different.

Two other variants I recommend are Seirawan chess (S-chess) and Rauschach.

What I like about these three variants over others is that they each introduce a moderate and logical extension that enhances the possibilities whilst maintaining the feel or characteristics of chess as we know it. For example, S-chess introduces an elephant (rook-knight compound) and a hawk (bishop-knight). These pieces are an extension of already existing pieces. Everything else is the same. Opening principles remain the same, but opening theory can be completely rewritten.

Hexagonal chess extends the existing functions of the pieces through the use of hexagons. I've already mentioned tactics and strategy.

Raumschach uses a three-dimensional board (5x5x5). The pieces operate as normal, with the introduction of a third dimension.

I guess I like the fact that minor, logical changes can profoundly create new possibilities without rendering chess unrecognisable.