Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 14 Oct '06 07:48
    I've seen some dudes mentioning Rybka while others talk of Fritz 10. Can any Rybka supporters explain why Junior won the Computer Chess World Championship? Incidentally I don't think Rybka has won any WCCC, so its results are probably "tweaked" - ie using special hardware/RAM in the so called test results it has achieved.

    The Rybka author was probably aware it would not achieve high results and probably as a marketing/damage limitation exercise he entered it as Rajlich.

    See http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3153

    One of the 64,000 dollar questions is why Fritz does not play in these WCCC's. THe next is why Rybka cannot win any WCCC.
  2. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    14 Oct '06 09:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by z00t
    I've seen some dudes mentioning Rybka while others talk of Fritz 10. Can any Rybka supporters explain why Junior won the Computer Chess World Championship? Incidentally I don't think Rybka has won any WCCC, so its results are probably "tweaked" - ie using special hardware/RAM in the so called test results it has achieved.

    The Rybka author was probably aware ...[text shortened]... ions is why Fritz does not play in these WCCC's. THe next is why Rybka cannot win any WCCC.
    yes you are right - there is a tournament that rybka did not win ... wow.

    it only came second ... bizarre.

    usually it wins clearly.

    ps i once found a four leafed clover
  3. 14 Oct '06 09:35
    Originally posted by flexmore
    yes you are right - there is a tournament that rybka did not win ... wow.

    it only came second ... bizarre.

    usually it wins clearly.

    ps i once found a four leafed clover
    FYI it came in third not second you do not apapear to know what bucholz means. This is not a tournament that rybka did not win, it is a simple fact that rybka has never won any WCCC while the likes of Junior/Shredder can claim 5 wins.

    Don't be a lame duck!
  4. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    14 Oct '06 10:32 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by z00t
    FYI it came in third not second you do not apapear to know what bucholz means. This is not a tournament that rybka did not win, it is a simple fact that rybka has never won any WCCC while the likes of Junior/Shredder can claim 5 wins.

    Don't be a lame duck!
    oh and instead of entering the computer under some strange fictitious name (rybka), which he refused to admit the reasonong behind, - Vasik Rajlich entered it under his own name -

    hmmm .... yes that will avoid detracting from his marketing potential.

    face it: rybka is the boss on the board - no other computer has any real legitimacy at present - only kramnik has any other claim.
  5. 14 Oct '06 10:44
    Originally posted by flexmore
    face it: rybka is the boss on the board - no other computer has any real legitimacy at present - only kramnik has any other claim.
    Quack Quack Quack or is it Cluck Cluck Cluck ?

    We only have your say so, there are no WCCC's where rybka/whatever name it is disguised as has won. Is this by sheer coincidence or by design?
  6. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    14 Oct '06 10:49 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by z00t
    [b]Quack Quack Quack or is it Cluck Cluck Cluck ?

    We only have your say so, there are no WCCC's where rybka/whatever name it is disguised as has won. Is this by sheer coincidence or by design?[/b]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_chess#Chess_engine_rating_lists

    Chess engine rating lists
    SSDF http://web.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/list.htm
    CEGT http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/40_40%20Rating%20List/40_40%20BestVersion/rangliste.html
    SCCT http://www.geocities.com/sedatchess/SCCT_Auto232.html
    CSS http://www.computerschach.de/cssrangliste/englisch/erangliste.htm

    rybka consistently number 1 - except one tournament..
  7. 14 Oct '06 11:03
    It is the "except tournament" part that bothers me. I could play behind closed doors with my program callled z00t, then claim that z00t is 3500 elo bacause it walloped the selected programs I played it against. After publishing my rating list on tripod or geocities, I could claim that z00t is the strongest.

    What about legitimacy someone would ask? How has z00t faired in tournament/WCCC's? I would then reply that except for tournaments z00t is the strongest ....hehe nice try.

    Afterall the likes of Euwe, Alekhine, Karpov, Kasparov Kramnik could only claim legiticacy if they won the championship in controlled official events. Who knows rybka could contain a special anti-computer algorithm, but examing its games at the 14th WCCC failed to reveal this.
  8. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    14 Oct '06 11:04 / 4 edits
    p.s. - i am not a rybka supporter ... it is simply that every method i have ever had of seeking information about which computer is the strongest, has been dominated commandingly by rybka - except the one you mention.
    many of these organisations have been following the progress of computer chess for what ammounts to an eternity in computer chess.

    reality is i am a kramnik supporter - and i cry inside knowing that monsters like rybka can play better chess.
  9. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    14 Oct '06 11:52
    Originally posted by z00t
    its results are probably "tweaked" - ie using special hardware/RAM in the so called test results it has achieved.
    Lots of people (I'm one of many) have tested Rybka on their machines--no special hardware, but the same hardware the other engines are using. Rybka has prevailed in most of these tests. I've used the beta version of Rybka 1.0 (weaker than the commercial version), and it topped all my other engines, including Hiarcs 9, Fritz 8, Toga II, Spike 1.0, Glaurung, Naum 1.7, Ruffian, Delfi 4.5, and dozens more. I've tested it only slightly against Fritz 9, and it seems a bit stronger.

    If Rybka has been tested against human GMs, I've not seen the results.

    Rybka arrived on the scene suddenly about two years ago and was immediately one of the strongest, if not the strongest engines. It will not remain on top without continuing development. Its sudden success shows that its developers have made a significant contribution to programming, not that they have special hardware.
  10. 14 Oct '06 12:39
    Credibility starts here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Computer_Chess_Championship As soon as anyone can show me Rybka on that page I will respect rybka. By the same token the absence of Fritz from recent WCCC's is also a mystery. Although I will get Fritz 10 for its names sake, I rank Junior and Shredder above Fritz.