1. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 21:07
    Anybody out there with experience using or playing with Hiarcs 9? From the literature at Chessbase.com, it says it plays more like a human than any other game. Do you find this to be true? Why would I choose Hiarcs over Fritz 9, which is what (it seems) the rest of the chess world uses? I want to buy a chess program, but am having a heck of a time deciding. Maybe it's a case of using Hiarcs to play against and using Fritz to analyze? I'd love to hear from anyone with Hiarcs experience. Heck, gimme your two pawns advice if you own Fritz, too. It'll all help me.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 21:111 edit
    Originally posted by magnublm
    Anybody out there with experience using or playing with Hiarcs 9? From the literature at Chessbase.com, it says it plays more like a human than any other game. Do you find this to be true? Why would I choose Hiarcs over Fritz 9, which is what (it seems) the rest of the chess world uses? I want to buy a chess program, but am having a heck of a time deciding. iarcs experience. Heck, gimme your two pawns advice if you own Fritz, too. It'll all help me.
    I've no idea about Hiarcs. There are comparisons of chess engines on the internet which you should investigate before spending any cash. You should also consider Crafty - it's not as good as the better commercial ones, but it has the big advantage of being free, so if you decide you want a stronger one you won't have wasted any money...
  3. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 21:17
    Anybody out there with experience using or playing with Hiarcs 9? From the literature at Chessbase.com, it says it plays more like a human than any other game. Do you find this to be true? Why would I choose Hiarcs over Fritz 9, which is what (it seems) the rest of the chess world uses? I want to buy a chess program, but am having a heck of a time deciding. ...[text shortened]... iarcs experience. Heck, gimme your two pawns advice if you own Fritz, too. It'll all help me.
    Shredder 9 has my money. Nothing fancy as far as teaching, but if you want the best engine shredder is it for both play and analysis. There is no comparrison.

RTh
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 21:171 edit
    From what I understand, Fritz 9 is a bit stronger, but Hiarcss 10 can emulate human play far better. (Delfi T is also good for that) However, Fritz is a little better for analysis.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 21:19
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    Shredder 9 has my money. Nothing fancy as far as teaching, but if you want the best engine shredder is it for both play and analysis. There is no comparrison.

RTh
    Is Shredder 9 actually stronger than Fritz? Also, does it really hold the crown for analysis? I always thought Fritz did.
  6. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 21:31
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Is Shredder 9 actually stronger than Fritz? Also, does it really hold the crown for analysis? I always thought Fritz did.
    To be honest I have never used fritz. I have read quite a bit about it though. Shredder will look a little further ahead.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 21:51
    I have Hiarcs 9 and Fritz 8, and plan after the new year to buy F 9 and H 10. Both are excellent engines, and they are hard to tell apart more than 90% of the time.
  8. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 22:16
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I have Hiarcs 9 and Fritz 8, and plan after the new year to buy F 9 and H 10. Both are excellent engines, and they are hard to tell apart more than 90% of the time.
    Well if you want you can send me an unrated challenge and I will play shredder against your fritz, or Hiarcs (note in challenge engine please,7 day or something). Hopefully yours will lose faster than phlabibits fritz 8.
  9. Standard memberelohiym chanan
    under construction
    presently mired...
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 22:18
    I'd be interested in watching that unfold. Post the game number if you do it please.
  10. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 22:251 edit
    Originally posted by elohiym chanan
    I'd be interested in watching that unfold. Post the game number if you do it please.
    This is the game phlabi and I have. It is an unrated game. Shredder 9 is black Fritz 8 is not.

Game 1609406

Fritz thinks its a draw. Shredder thinks it's winning. We'll see.
  11. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 23:21
    I found this to be interesting reading:

Chess Engine comparison:
    http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/engine-tourney/

Shredder 9 vs. Fritz 9:
    http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1132285373.shtml
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 03:06
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    Well if you want you can send me an [b]unrated challenge and I will play shredder against your fritz, or Hiarcs (note in challenge engine please,7 day or something). Hopefully yours will lose faster than phlabibits fritz 8.[/b]
    I don't think that will prove anything as the machines are probably different.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything about Shredder 10? I understand that it will be released in the Spring.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 03:43
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I don't think that will prove anything as the machines are probably different.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything about Shredder 10? I understand that it will be released in the Spring.
    I have no interest in making computer moves without my influence, so it becomes a question of how we use the engines, as well as the speed of our processors, and the power of the engines.

It's called "advanced chess" and there's a lot of ink spilled on its behalf. See, for example, http://www.chessbase.com/events/events.asp?pid=133
  14. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 04:04
    I found this to be interesting reading:

Chess Engine comparison:
    http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/engine-tourney/

Shredder 9 vs. Fritz 9:
    http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1132285373.shtml
    I was suprised to see prodeo as low as 7. Running it under the shredder 9 GUI and using it's books it gave shredder a hell of a time.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 08:13
    Yeah, I know about Advanced Chess, it's just that it wasn't clear from the other posts that it was going to be Advanced Chess rather than an engine match.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree