1. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 05:12
    I was just browsing through the new Annotated Games section and came across this gem...

Game 7684374

I remember there was a thread recently which touched on "games which make you laugh"... Honestly I burst out laughing upon seeing this position:

If that had happened to me in an OTB game I probably would have just got up and left in shame, head hanging...

Pleases feel free to contribute your own games or ones you've just come across wherever. Games which end in the most pathetic positions/combinations/etc...
  2. Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 07:27
    Heh, that is quite funny, bless him.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 07:55
    This one has me in stitches.

Game 6389469

Black is rated 2029 and ...

hangs a piece on move 5
    hangs another piece on move 11
    misses a mate in three on move 23
    repeats the position on move 24
    misses at least two mates in four on move 25
    fails to capture a hanging queen on move 30
    and hangs another piece on move 40.

This is just too funny.
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 08:21
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    This is just too funny.
    These kind of jokes are why I've not renewed my membership of RHP.
  5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 09:232 edits
    The recent checkmates page always entertains!

🙂
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 09:54
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    These kind of jokes are why I've not renewed my membership of RHP.
    To clarify: my objection is not to the post but to the game (and the player thereof)
  7. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 17:45
    That guy does occasionally play people his level as a break from beating people 500 points below him..
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 18:211 edit
    Originally posted by DivGradCurl
    I was just browsing through the new Annotated Games section and came across this gem...

Game 7684374

I remember there was a thread recently which touched on "games which make you laugh"...
    Game 7504469 :-(

Bet it makes you laugh... made me effing cross with myself. Especially my last two moves.

Richard
  9. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 19:242 edits
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Game 7504469 :-(

Bet it makes you laugh... made me effing cross with myself. Especially my last two moves.

Richard
    Just basically a single mistake that cost you the game. You got so caught up in what you were doing that you forgot to see if the other guy had any moves. It happens to us all. Call it a learning experience.

44.Qxe4+ Kh8 45.Qa8+ Kh7 46.exf4 should do the trick. Your only weakness (the diagonal) is covered as long as you keep your queen on b7.
    The thing though is to know to do all this, you have to see what he was up to coming in advance. Being able to spot that stuff only comes from experience.

Cheers!

Edit: 45.Kh2 seems to hold fine, too. I guess I looked too fast. You wouldn't have to look for an exact defense like that though, if you had prevented the whole counterattack in advance with the moves above.
    Sorry ... I should take some time before posting.

Edit 2: I just had a funny thought. These are two levels of thought in chess.

Level 1: How do I get out of the mess I am in? (45.Kh2)

Level 2: How did I get in the mess to begin with? (Move 44 ... although that's debatable since you weren't actually lost until a later blunder)
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggettonline
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 20:38
    This one was painfully hilarious for me. I was on my way to a "checkmate in 20" game, thinking that it was the best I had ever played, and I literally mouse-slipped and did not notice that I put my queen one square short until after I hit "submit".

It was like a dream sequence on a TV show- my screen shimmered, and then I saw the board as it truly was. Ugly.

11. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 20:59
    oops
  12. Joined
    06 May '10
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 22:16
    love it when higher rated player do the same dopey stuff I do
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 22:59
    I have a tough time finding humor in games. I wish I could because that's a whole other aspect I'm missing out on.

Although... if I ever watched a higher ranked player absoutely destroying a lower ranked one - only to get back-rank mated in the end I'd probably laugh.
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggettonline
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 23:08
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I have a tough time finding humor in games. I wish I could because that's a whole other aspect I'm missing out on.

Although... if I ever watched a higher ranked player absoutely destroying a lower ranked one - only to get back-rank mated in the end I'd probably laugh.
    In my game, I outrated my opponent by over 400 points- he challenged me, and I
    never decline challenges on principle no matter how low the rating.

I'd say it paid off rather well for him!

Paul
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggettonline
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 23:13
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    This one was painfully hilarious for me. I was on my way to a "checkmate in 20" game, thinking that it was the best I had ever played, and I literally mouse-slipped and did not notice that I put my queen one square short until after I hit "submit".

It was like a dream sequence on a TV show- my screen shimmered, and then I saw the board as it truly w ...[text shortened]... 10. c4 Nd5f6 11. b3 e5 12. c5 Kd6e7 13. Bf1c4 e4 14. Qf3f5 Nd7b6 15. Qf5xe4 Nf6xe4 0-1[/pgn]
    Here's the game with the header, as it's too late to edit my other post- my opponent surely thought it was hilarious!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree