1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 21:412 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    carlsen vs giri, 22 moves and 0-1?!! big oops for the OLD guy!

[pgn]
    [Event "ICC"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2011.01.17"]
    [White "*GM_Carlsen"]
    [Black "*GM_Giri"]
    [Result "*"]
    [WhiteElo "2814"]
    [BlackElo "2686"]
    [TimeControl "6000+30"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. g3 Bg7 4. Bg2 d5 5. cxd5 Nxd5
    6. Nf3 Nb6 7. Nc3 Nc6 8. e3 O-O 9. O-O Re8 ...[text shortened]... xa8 18. exd5 Nb6 19. Rd1 e4 20. Ng5 e3
    21. Qb2 Qxg5 22. Bxe3 Qg4
    [/pgn]
    😲 ..... Go Anish go !!

http://anishgiri.nl/

Sixteen-year-old Anish Giri caused a sensation upsetting Norway’s Magnus Carlsen -with 2814 Elo points the world’s highest ranked grandmaster- in third-round action at the 73rd annual Tata Steel Chess Tournament in Wijk-aan-Zee Monday. It was the first time in his life that Carlsen, now 20 years old but a former child prodigy, went down against someone younger than himself.. (read more)

http://www.tatasteelchess.com/
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 21:43
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Even more amazing is that Teletekst (Dutch Ceefax) has not bothered to put up that game, going for Carlsen's grandmaster draw instead. Gah. Why they even bother to cover the tournament when they clearly don't give a flying cattle-manure shall probably always remain beyond my comprehension.

Richard
    The solution to your problem:

3. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:49
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    😲 ..... Go Anish go !!

http://anishgiri.nl/

Sixteen-year-old Anish Giri caused a sensation upsetting Norway’s Magnus Carlsen -with 2814 Elo points the world’s highest ranked grandmaster- in third-round action at the 73rd annual Tata Steel Chess Tournament in Wijk-aan-Zee Monday. It was the first time in his life that Carlsen, now 20 years old but a ...[text shortened]... went down against someone younger than himself.. (read more)

I've read that Carlsen lost to someone younger at the last olympiad.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:521 edit

I couldn't find the actual game, only video's. Are the games there somewhere?
    ah, missed wormies entry. Thanks.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 23:04
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Because after Qa4, White's rook is still left hanging.

But it's not fair! These grandmasters have all the best moves, surely they could do us patzers the honour of leaving us the "throw away your knight" tricks for our exclusive use? Must they then have everything? It's cruel of Magnus to deprive us of our one area of expertise (one I myself am particularly good at, too), and I protest most strenuously!

Richard
    But after Q a4, white has R-a1 attacking queen again and looks like he picks up the knight. After that, it looks like the c3 pawn falls but it is not an immediate win, I thought he got the knight back after R a1.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 23:073 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I couldn't find the actual game, only video's. Are the games there somewhere?
    ah, missed wormies entry. Thanks.

Click on tab "tournament" then click on "live games" then click on "Open the live games viewer"

More news about the Tata Steel Chess Tournament in Wijk aan Zee at Chessvibes:

http://www.chessvibes.com/

Enjoy 🙂
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 21:46

Yeah, I already found that. But that would mean me having to put my chess set on my desk, looking at the monitor, instead of at my table, looking at the telly.
    And to be honest, I realise why they don't bother to do more: precisely because everything is on the web these days. What I don't get is why they have a teletekst page about it at all, and then botch it. They could save themselves some money with not a lot of loss of service.

Richard
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 21:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But after Q a4, white has R-a1 attacking queen again and looks like he picks up the knight. After that, it looks like the c3 pawn falls but it is not an immediate win, I thought he got the knight back after R a1.
    Nope. That fails to the defense to most other White moves: Nb5-c3, attacking the White queen. White can then exchange queens, but will stay a piece down, or save his queen, and let Black save his, with the same result or worse.

Richard
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Jan '11 21:02
    ...And Carlsen goes gung-ho on Nakamura's castled king's behind, in a game that, I have no doubt, has already received the Chandler Seal of Approval. And for once, even I could see how this was going to end: in bloodshed. Good game, good game.

Richard
  10. e4
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 00:392 edits
    Seen it.

When I saw the Angus 18.Ka1 I was thinking right away "This is theory."
    Angus said it was OTB prophylaxis.

Prophylaxis. Stopping the non existing threat before is becomes a threat.

Example:

White thinks he would like to play f4 here but first plays Kh1 to stop any future
    tricks involving the pinned piece on d4 with Qb6 and the f6 Knight going to g4
    opening g7 Bishops disgonal.

Note these threats are not on at the moment because white has not played f4.
    Kh1 makes sure these threats never appear. Prophylaxis.

In the Angus - Nick McMurrah game (All the players are Scottish).

Angus Mac here played 18.Ka1

If the theroticians (and their boxes) give this the seal of approval it will no
    doubt start appearing in text books all over the place.

It might even replace Karpov-Spassky Lenigrad 1973. 24. Nb1 which is in every
    good/bad chess book as the most written about move of all time. 😴

If Angus had played 18.Ka1 on here the hounds would have been after him.
    It simply reeks of silicon.

Often suspect a player taken credit for a box find as OTB inspiration.
    Especially in their notes when they claim to have seen x amount of brillaint moves.
    It's a good ploy though, it scares future opponents.

Have to give Angus the benefit of the doubt though, he's a great player
    in this type of position. But stopping pre a full bloodied attack for Ka1 is
    something else. Prophylaxis! (anybody know the clock times?) 😉

Interesting to see his comments about the Scilian.

"the Sicilian is not the line to pick if there’s no need for you to score a full point."

Suggesting at the top levels it is still double edged and perhaps the only
    way to go for a win with Black v 1.e4.
    There are so called 'safe' ways to play against anything else, though the
    better player should tell in the end.
    But v the Sicilian there is no 'safe' way. But it's also a risk as Black.

Angus McCarlsen v Nick McMurrah,
    Wijk aan Zee (which is just north of Inverness on the banks of Loch Jimme).

As Shallow Blue says. Good Game.

11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 12:19
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Interesting to see his comments about the Scilian.

"the Sicilian is not the line to pick if there’s no need for you to score a full point."

Suggesting at the top levels it is still double edged and perhaps the only
    way to go for a win with Black v 1.e4.
    There are so called 'safe' ways to play against anything else, though the better player should ...[text shortened]... l in the end.
    But v the Sicilian there is no 'safe' way. But it's also a risk as Black.
    I understand (IIRC this was explained on the website) that it was a teasing jab at McMurrah, who himself had made a similar remark a few months ago.

Angus McCarlsen v Nick McMurrah,
    Wijk aan Zee (which is just north of Inverness on the banks of Loch Jimme).

Loch Jimme - is that your Scots name for the North Sea, these days? I thought it was Loch Mòr...

Richard
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 21:32
    ...and yet another game by Carlsen which, if not for the game itself (somewhat grinding), should garner approval for his remark that when Kramnik offered a draw, he knew that meant he had to play on. And both got what they deserved, too.

Richard
  13. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 13:10
    Nakamura-Kramnik drawn in 39ply 🙁
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '11 15:49
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Nakamura-Kramnik drawn in 39ply 🙁
    And now Nakamura and Wang Hao draw in only 22 moves, in a position which still had a decetn amount of play in it. Understandable from Nakamura's position, true, but still... At least Anand's draw against Nepomniashchi really was more or less a dead position.

Richard
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Jan '11 16:13
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

If Angus had played 18.Ka1 on here the hounds would have been after him.
    It simply reeks of silicon.
    sure it does have the smell, it's exactly the kind of silly tempo move engines love to make when they see no way to progress.

but I don't know if that's the case here, as in sicilian black always lives or dies with his counter play. mate first or be mated. get there first, or it's over. - so, if you have the time, taking white king off the attacked file makes great sense, killing off black's last hope of proper counter.

the game was really played in Wick-On-Sea wasn't it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree