1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 15:43
    McShane and Navara have both been invited to group A next year. Adjust your plans accordingly.
  2. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 18:53
    Giri did well.A promising young man.
    But not a good tourney for The Hammer 😞

Enjoyed the show!

toet.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 12:06
    Maybe folks will give Nakamura a little more respect now?

Frankly, Nakamura looks to me as though he has a good chance to be like Morozevich. He can beat up the weaker players, but just can't quite hold his own against the very best. This was on display in Wijk aan Zee, where Naka didn't make a dent in Anand, Carlson, etc. but beat up the lower end of the field. I suspect we'll see more of this.
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 12:21
    Originally posted by Erekose

Frankly, Nakamura looks to me as though he has a good chance to be like Morozevich. He can beat up the weaker players, but just can't quite hold his own against the very best. This was on display in Wijk aan Zee, where Naka didn't make a dent in Anand, Carlson, etc. but beat up the lower end of the field. I suspect we'll see more of this.
    Good point. He has to beat those rated higher than himself. But not losing to "weakies" is vital too.
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 13:46

I am no Naka apologist, but I think it is a pretty standard strategy to draw vs the top and beat up on the tail enders in any tournament. Carlsen, Topalov and Shirov (if he still counts in the top) are the only exceptions to this.

Naka hasn't had all that many chances to play the elite guys, I think he is still learning. I would expect his practical results to surpass Morozevich, without showing the creativity that Moro has brought to the game.
  6. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 14:12
    It wasn't strategy to draw with the best though. Vs Carlsen he played for a win with 1...c5 and came unstuck.

One to watch is the runner up in group C - a 14 year old called Nhyznikh, forgive my spelling.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '11 22:12
    From what I've read, including his own comments, the most important thing is that Nakamura has been giving himself a little more respect. And good on him, too.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree