hou?

Standard memberivan2908
Only Chess 05 Jul '07 13:12
  1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 13:12
    It took me year an a half to become 1600 otb from complete 80 rated patzer. Can I become 1800 in a year with same enthusiasm?! I ask because I have big chess tournament in my hometown next year and I would like to partecipate in division under 2000 points. I do not want to look dull 🙂

Hou???!

Thanks
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 13:28
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    It took me year an a half to become 1600 otb from complete 80 rated patzer. Can I become 1800 in a year with same enthusiasm?! I ask because I have big chess tournament in my hometown next year and I would like to partecipate in division under 2000 points. I do not want to look dull 🙂

Hou???!

Thanks
    if 1600 took you a year and a half, then probably not. you're just training way too little. and a year is a very short time.
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 13:372 edits
    Yes but I studied chess pretty chaotically and very inconsistent with often and big breaks, mostly because of faculty responsibilities. Now I have a year off between graduate and postgraduate studies so I will have more time. What would be your advice if I have 2 and a half hours for chess daily? (maximum).

When I studied chess for a month following CTS drills and reading Amateurs mind very carefully back in February I improved a lot more in that 30 days than all the rest of this year. But every day I would seat for two hours with book and chess set and raised my concentration to the maximum. I noticed that 2 hours investment in that way is better than 20 hours of unsystematic reading of books, internet articles and opening ideas.

Now I want to get organized again, not for a month but for a year. Shouldn't it be enough if you put it that way?

And how big is playing difference between 1600 and 1800? I suposse bigger than 1400 compared to 1600 ...
  4. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 13:50
    I've been studying my arse off for the last year and I only now am i seeing a difference in my games/rating here... about 100 points, and still can't reach the 1700 mark. It's bloody hard work, tends to ge boring/frustrating, and yes, it will take you longer than a year. IMO.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 15:152 edits
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Yes but I studied chess pretty chaotically and very inconsistent with often and big breaks, mostly because of faculty responsibilities. Now I have a year off between graduate and postgraduate studies so I will have more time. What would be your advice if I have 2 and a half hours for chess daily? (maximum).

When I studied chess for a month following CTS ig is playing difference between 1600 and 1800? I suposse bigger than 1400 compared to 1600 ...
    you're on the right track with the 2h vs 20 thinking. but it's a lot easier to train intensively for one month than sustain the effort indefinitely.

in order to achieve your goal, I'd say you need to do at least an hour or two of tactics daily, but the more the better. and by doing, I actually mean wrecking your brain with it. probably endgames will start having an effect at some point as well, so it would be wise to train them as well. not as much as tactics, but don't neglect it totally. focus on the training, not reading about things.

you'll probably have to do some opening study as well, but I think analyzing your games and finding out where you left book will do fine. avoiding the basic errors in your openings are more than enough, the rest is tactics.

then there's the playing. play as much as you can, but check out your lost games at least superficially right after you finish them. even blitz games.

all this will take quite a lot of hours every day, so you need to be very careful about not burning out. if you lose motivation, you'll make no progress. and the worse you burn out, the longer the breaks will be. so take breaks before you burn out. resting is very important.

and sleep is extremely important.

oh, and yes, every 100pts is a lot harder than the previous one.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 15:32
    I thought this thread was going to be about the Chinese wunderkind Hou Yifan (or possibly Yifan Hou, I get confused about which way round Chinese people say their names). She has increased her FIDE rating from a miserable 2144 to a magnificent 2523 in just two years, and she achieved the bulk of that in the first year. So my advice to you is dress up as a ten year old Chinese girl and enroll in the National Chess Centre in Beijing.
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 17:02
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I thought this thread was going to be about the Chinese wunderkind Hou Yifan (or possibly Yifan Hou, I get confused about which way round Chinese people say their names). She has increased her FIDE rating from a miserable 2144 to a magnificent 2523 in just two years, and she achieved the bulk of that in the first year. So my advice to you is dress up as a ten year old Chinese girl and enroll in the National Chess Centre in Beijing.
    THat's perfect, I love dressing up as a 10 year old girl! 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree