1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 15:461 edit
    About the Houdini Chess Engine used in evaluating the 2013 candidates matches.

The newest version Houdini 3

http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 15:234 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds

engines have characters, i've never played houdini, but fritz immediately exploits tactics, shows the 'rightness' of a posistion, but will never make a speculative sacrifice and can't play such posistions well. the king builds strong posistion, cramps you and compounds rather than exploits mistakes making it a bit better with sacrifices. rybka struck me that it had very good control of centre and would sac material for it. it was a very good engine. though i never owned it

I'm just saying using an ultra tactical prog like houdini might not be the best way to understand these gm games- fritz probably is best as if there is something forced there it will always find it. rant over 🙂 do you have houdini rj?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 18:00
    Originally posted by e4chris
    engines have characters, i've never played houdini, but fritz immediately exploits tactics, shows the 'rightness' of a posistion, but will never make a speculative sacrifice and can't play such posistions well. the king builds strong posistion, cramps you and compounds rather than exploits mistakes making it a bit better with sacrifices. rybka struck me that ...[text shortened]... here is something forced there it will always find it. rant over 🙂 do you have houdini rj?
    I am getting it. If it's good enough to evaluste those GM games, then it is good enough for me. too. Of course, I will be getting the regular Houdini 3 because I have a a regular Windows Vista desk computer I ordered from Dell several years ago and I have an Acer laptop Windows 7 computer. I still have a Windows 98 Acer computer, but most of the new stuff requires at least Windows Vista.
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 00:101 edit
    I am getting it. If it's good enough to evaluste those GM games, then it is good enough for me. too. Of course, I will be getting the regular Houdini 3 because I have a a regular Windows Vista desk computer I ordered from Dell several years ago and I have an Acer laptop Windows 7 computer. I still have a Windows 98 Acer computer, but most of the new stuff requires at least Windows Vista.
    My laptop is so crap it would fall over and die if i installed a good chess engine.

I just got a saitek master - it does not take 2 hours to boot up or crash! I got it because I started going to chess club again and was getting thrashed - the top guy, he may not know, but he plays like a saitek, very similar / sharp tactics and elo, after loosing 5 times to him I thought yes it will help especially over the board and it has! But it would be a let down to anyone who was more than half way up the club - i can beat it already in a few lines. Why do they not make chesscomputers aimed at good chess players I don't know, they have not made 1 in 10 years or more.

Hope houdini is fun!
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 00:111 edit
    I guess we'll be seeing you in the top 10 soon. 😏
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 00:14
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    above you!😏
  7. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 01:35
    RJHinds is the new Skeeter.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 01:401 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    My laptop is so crap it would fall over and die if i installed a good chess engine.

I just got a saitek master - it does not take 2 hours to boot up or crash! I got it because I started going to chess club again and was getting thrashed - the top guy, he may not know, but he plays like a saitek, very similar / sharp tactics and elo, after loosing 5 times ...[text shortened]... chess players I don't know, they have not made 1 in 10 years or more.

Hope houdini is fun!
    There are different prices for the Houdini engine depending on what graphics it runs on. The cheapest seems to be the one that runs on what is called Aquirium and the most expensive runs on the Fritz 13 platform. I don't know what difference it will make and if it will be worth spending a few extra dollars or not. Still looking around on the interenet and trying to make up my mind. The Houdini 2 has dropped in price, but it seems flawed from what I could tell from looking at the evaluation it gave on that one Carlsen game. Houdini 3 is supposed to be 50 elo points higher rated, so maybe the flaw is fixed in it.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 01:44
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    If I get were I can beat it 9 out of 10, I might be playing Anand one day.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 02:011 edit
    I'm not sure how much 39,95 EURO is in U.S. Dollars, which is the price if ordered straight from the maker, but then I would still have to get something to run it on and get it installed. So that was why I was looking at other sources that gives a U.S. Dollar price and already has it ready to run from a DVD.
  11. under your bed
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 08:19

Well done for opening up the issue of using an engine to a plethora of clueless plebs.

btw, Houdini 2 is free, you just need a gui.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 17:05
    I have placed my order through Amazon.com for Houdini 3 Aquarium by ChessOK. It is free shipping and I already had a credit reward on my Amazon credit card of $39.10 that I am going to use and therefore I will only be charged $23.40 on the credit card. The following is the description of the product:

Houdini 3 Aquarium is a revolutionary analysis, database and chess publishing tool, combined with the world's strongest chess playing engine, Houdini 3. Houdini 3 Aquarium offers advanced analysis functions, game commenting, searching, powerful chess trees, playing against the computer, databases, advanced publishing features and much more. Houdini 3 Aquarium includes the best chess engine - Houdini 3 UCI, a powerful search system, a unique Tree mode, database of 5.083 million games in total (as of November 1, 2012), and Bonus disk Chess Opening Encyclopedia 2012. Languages: English, German, Spanish, Italian and French.?System requirements: PC, 256 MB RAM, 4GB of free disk space, Windows 8/7/XP/Vista.
  13. Joined
    24 May '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 15:36
    I only need Houdini 1.5 to find idiotic engine cheats.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 16:48
    Originally posted by Zygalski
    Finding idiotic engine cheats is not my purpose in buying the Houdini 3 Aquarium.
  15. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 21:202 edits
    Originally posted by Zygalski
    people have accused me of proging once or twice for guess what - thrashing them ... the fact i've got losses in 18 moves, na they don't check that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree