1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 00:112 edits
    As I mentioned before, back in the 70's and 80's America was still basking in the glow of the post Fischer era, USCF membership was well over 100,000. Now the USCF struggles to maintain 80,00 members (many of them children who drop out soon after joining) and I think I found out why. How can chess compete with this? DISCLAIMER: Any females exploring these links WILL be offended.

YouTube

YouTube

It looks like the gamer boys are playing with more than one joystick!
  2. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 06:06
    Originally posted by @mchill
    As I mentioned before, back in the 70's and 80's America was still basking in the glow of the post Fischer era, USCF membership was well over 100,000. Now the USCF struggles to maintain 80,00 members (many of them children who drop out soon after joining) and I think I found out why. How can chess compete with this? DISCLAIMER: Any females exploring these li ...[text shortened]... com/watch?v=2E7H9QwBiss

It looks like the gamer boys are playing with more than one joystick!
    hey, it's all good...entertainment is where you find it.....
  3. Joined
    24 Nov '17
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 07:45
    But then, Fischer was one hell of a player.
    The quality of his games stands out, even among world champions.
    Crystal clear plans and implementation, something you will not see
    in most WC collections.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 23:57
    Such games appear to me to be the extension-in-motion of Frank Frazetta's style of fantasy art, which influenced a generation of comic book readers.

http://frankfrazetta.net/Bio.html
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '17 02:40
    Fischer, rock'n'roll listening loner single-handedly defeated SSSR state machinery in chess.

He was star like tal, but the average audience didn't grasp neither of them as chess players, people was (were? I'll never learn and am lazy to google now) fascinated by combinations and eyes (in Tal's case) and with the fact that an American can put Soviet domination in danger.

Perhaps good advertising gurus can help chess to come in public focus again.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 00:01
    Normally I avoid these kinds of threads, but when I see pictures of the Russian Ladies Team, I am inclined to think that one can have his cake and eat it, too.

When I was younger, there were only guys at tournaments, and even kids were somewhat rare. If a lady walked into the tournament hall, everyone turned and staired in surprise.

Nowadays, if I were younger, I would be more distracted. Heck, I'm still distracted, but it would have been worse...
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 21:18
    on/in both junior high and senior high school chess clubs and there were female members (good ones, too) and this was in the mid sixties...
    they just played chess...
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 18:25
    "My God he plays so simply" -Suetin on Fischer during game 7 vs. Petrosian in the 1971 Candidates knock-out Match
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Dec '17 07:13
    You're all missing the obvious. THE INTERNET! Saying that chess isn't as popular as it was in the 80's because USCF membership is down is the equivalent of saying that music isn't as popular as it was in the 80's because record sales are down. Chess is vastly more popular than it ever was before and much more international as well. A lot more money is being put into prize funds too.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '17 13:001 edit
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    Fischer, rock'n'roll listening loner single-handedly defeated SSSR state machinery in chess.

He was star like tal, but the average audience didn't grasp neither of them as chess players, people was (were? I'll never learn and am lazy to google now) fascinated by combinations and eyes (in Tal's case) and with the fact that an American can put Soviet ...[text shortened]... ation in danger.

Perhaps good advertising gurus can help chess to come in public focus again.
    Was is singular were is plural.

He was...

They were....

People were...

As for chess I wasn't really interested in it during the 70s. I am not sure what can make it popular.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Dec '17 15:45
    Of course, plural.
    During sixties poets were popular like rock stars. And chess players. Around Reykiavik match, I remember in Belgrade were several outdoors marathon mega duels between Fischer's fans against Spassky's fans. Kids and old people together were playing, and there was a re-match and a re-re-match! Thousands! Tens of thousands.
    Even for candidates final in 1978 between Spassky and Korchnoi it was impossible to get the ticket to watch games live. All radio stations covered the match and of course state TV station.

But poets are not stars any more. Now only some novelists are.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree