???how did you get introuced to chess???

???how did you get introuced to chess???

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by chesstora
Hello fellow posters:

I would like to hear how you were introduced to chess. I'm sure there are some great stories.

My Cousin intorduced me to the game when we were around 10 or 11 years old. My aunt purchased him a set and he needed someone to play so he taught me how to how the pieces moved. From there we played many a game; not knowing any tati ...[text shortened]... ame a memeber of USCF and played CC (snail mail) games.

I can't wait to hear you stories.
Age of nine, courtesy of my kind Swedish Uncle, Len, who recently celebrated his 93rd birthday.

Five other significant mentors became a huge part of my life during the decade of my twenties.

j

Moves
16 Aug 10

D

Moves
18 Aug 10

Hmmm... think I learned how to move the pieces around age 10 maybe? when I was on vacation in Nantucket. Didn't really think much of the game back then! I moved to Hartford in January where my Uncle lives... he's been playing chess for quite a while, something like 20+ years. Didn't know anyone here in Hartford so he took me to his chess club where I met a couple nice guys. I've stuck with it since then. I used to play a lot of computer strategy games like StarCraft, X-COM, Total War, etc., now that I'm more mature I can appreciate Chess with respect to games like that.

j

Moves
19 Aug 10

My Brother taught me the basics 1971ish around the time Fischer/Spassky,Chess was hot at the time---- parents bought me a nice set casual play only. I remember those Math lab nerds getting giddy when they beat me w fools gambit, I never formally studied but have fun being a Patzer here Ive read a few books tried some uscf club play did not enjoy it. That timer takes the fun out for me. I love the sport like Baseball fanatics.