1. Joined
    02 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Apr '10 22:53
    Hi, I am new here. I see that I still have a provisional grading and that will change after I have played 20 games and then vary as I play more games. How is it calculated? Is it something like the average of my opponents grades with a bonus for won games and a penalty for bad ones? How are the ratings calculated? Also, what is a really good player and a really bad players rating? Thanks
  2. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '10 23:062 edits
    Originally posted by reydoog
    Hi, I am new here. I see that I still have a provisional grading and that will change after I have played 20 games and then vary as I play more games. How is it calculated? Is it something like the average of my opponents grades with a bonus for won games and a penalty for bad ones? How are the ratings calculated? Also, what is a really good player and a really bad players rating? Thanks
    FAQ

Hey the whole post is a link, how cool, what'd I do?
  3. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 02:01
    Oh great Ice, you went and broke the FAQ. 🙁

I do disagree about players under 2000 "not getting it". In the sub-2000 range here, there are a lot of talented players who understand the game and can play at a journeyman level against anyone. Not that they are knocking off the big boys at the Master level, but they are playing solid games of chess that they can take pride in.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 02:26
    Once you've passed the 20-game mark, the rating chart in Thread 80000 gives you an idea what the game win/loss points will be. Doesn't work for really high-rated players though, and is based on player ratings at the finish of your game, not the start.
  5. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 02:46
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Oh great Ice, you went and broke the FAQ. 🙁

I do disagree about players under 2000 "not getting it". In the sub-2000 range here, there are a lot of talented players who understand the game and can play at a journeyman level against anyone. Not that they are knocking off the big boys at the Master level, but they are playing solid games of chess that they can take pride in.
    I brokeded it. 🙁
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 02:563 edits
    you win your rating goes up, you get your butt kicked your rating goes down. If you play someone with a high rating and get your butt kicked, its hardly goes down, if you get your butt kicked by someone considerably lower, it goes down considerably. All players above 1700 stink, the higher you go the stinkier they become, all players below 1700 are great artists and those below 1000 are bordering on genius, below that there is that fine line between genius and insanity.
  7. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 09:25
    don't believe robbie - he is a genius...
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 12:54
    Originally posted by orion25
    don't believe robbie - he is a genius...
    LOL, yes, its true, i am downwardly spirling towards genius status 😀
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '10
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 22:341 edit
    Thanks, I get it now. It does look pretty complicated but I get the gist. I also see in the "Ratings" link at the bottom of these pages that there are 18000 people registered and 200 of them are over 2000. The lowest players seem to be around 600. The median grading is around 1316. Would >2000 be equivalent to a Master and >2300 a grand master??

I have no idea what my rating will come out to be so I am really curious about it. I used to be an OK player (county level) about 20 years ago but have only just come back to the game. I have forgotten all the opening beyond about move 6 but it amazes me how much the general principles (good vs bad bishops, rooks on open ranks etc etc come flooding back).

I guess time will tell where my rating will settle on.
  10. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 00:04
    Would >2000 be equivalent to a Master and >2300 a grand master??

Nope. I think the ratings on here are pretty much you USCF rating, plus or minus 500 points. As you can see, thats a huge span. I for one have a rating around 2000 here, but an OTB rating that is barely 1600. Thats probably mainly because most of my opponents on here are rated much lower than I am.

On the flip side, there are a good number of players who have OTB ratings around 18-1900, but are stuck near 1300 on here.

So what you get out of all that rambling is that there is pretty much no correlation between OTB ratings and ratings on this site. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree