1. Austin, Arkansas
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 08:371 edit
    on my third identical move i clicked the claim draw button, is that all i need do? it still came back to my turn....

i moved my king to the position, claimed draw, check the box, and hit
    the move button? but it still came back to my turn...is it a rule? or an option only if the other person accepts?
  2. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 09:00
    Did the opponent also repeat his move 3 times along with you? Only you repeating your moves thrice doesn't qualify for a draw!
  3. Austin, Arkansas
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 09:04
    ah ok, sorry my mistake, i misunderstood what a draw is...still pretty new to the game. thanks for the info.
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 13:39
    It isn't necessarily repeating the move 3 times that qualifies for a draw. It is having the same position anywhere in the game 3 times (not necessarily in succession) that qualifies.
  5. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 14:53
    Originally posted by lausey
    It isn't necessarily repeating the move 3 times that qualifies for a draw. It is having the same position anywhere in the game 3 times (not necessarily in succession) that qualifies.
    Thanks! 🙂 Never knew that. Are you sure succession is not necessary?
  6. Joined
    28 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:40
    and with the same side to move ?
  7. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:581 edit
    Originally posted by aging blitzer
    The player that is making the move to reach a position that has occurred twice (or more) before has to make the claim. It does not have to be in succession but in most cases it normally is (like in perpetual check).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threefold_repetition

EDIT: Rephrase to make clearer.
  8. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 11:36
    Originally posted by aging blitzer
    Yes, and with the same move possibilities for both sides (i.e. right to castle or capture en passant)
  9. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 10:57
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Yes, and with the same move possibilities for both sides (i.e. right to castle or capture en passant)
    Wouldn't work with en passant because you can only capture that way just after your opponent's pawn move anyway. 🙂

Would not get a chance to reach that same position more than once.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 11:34
    Wouldn't work with en passant because you can only capture that way just after your opponent's pawn move anyway. 🙂

Would not get a chance to reach that same position more than once.
    What if your opponent plays a move that would allow you to capture en passant (it was a legal move but it was bad). You don't and instead attempt to force a draw by repetition. The position after your opponent's move repeats 3 times however one had a legal en passant capture and therefore instead. If you tried to claim a draw you would be denied. Of course if your opponent played the same move next you could then claim a draw.
  11. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    21 Dec '05 12:08
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    What if your opponent plays a move that would allow you to capture en passant (it was a legal move but it was bad). You don't and instead attempt to force a draw by repetition. The position after your opponent's move repeats 3 times however one had a legal en passant capture and therefore instead. If you tried to claim a draw you would be denied. Of course if your opponent played the same move next you could then claim a draw.
    I didn't word it very well. Meant that you can't have a 3 fold repetition where there is a legal en passant on every one.

Do see your point though. Cheers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree