1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 04:19
    I've always thought a game was blindfold when a contestant was not allowed to see the board but only to be provided with notation, but now I was told players literally blind fold themselves and play on casually as if they have a third eye located somewhere on their forehead.
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 04:30
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    I've always thought a game was blindfold when a contestant was not allowed to see the board but only to be provided with notation, but now I was told players literally blind fold themselves and play on casually as if they have a third eye located somewhere on their forehead.
    yeah, Ive done both kinds.. when I play someone played all but 3 times in their life I may go completely blindfolded.. although I only last about 15-20 moves before I need to stop.
    with people that are 1150-1250ish Ive done a full game with just notation on several occasions. I wouldnt probably be able to do this anymore as the way I got good at that was playing games by myself on the bus.

either way, its very fun.
  3. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '09 21:41
    Playing with yourself can indeed make you go blind.
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    16 Dec '09 21:48
    Originally posted by homedepotov
    Playing with yourself can indeed make you go blind.
    😀
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 23:05
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    If you play the game from the notation of the game you are not playing it blindly or blindfolded. In order to play a game blindfolded you are only allowed to know what your opponent has played and you are not to keep or have a record of the game as it is beimg played. You do not have to actually be blindfolded if you are not able to see the board. The main point of playing a blindfolded game is that you are playing the game using your ability to remember the moves that were played.
  6. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 11:08
    Originally posted by gambit3
    If you play the game from the notation of the game you are not playing it blindly or blindfolded. In order to play a game blindfolded you are only allowed to know what your opponent has played and you are not to keep or have a record of the game as it is beimg played. You do not have to actually be blindfolded if you are not able to see the board. The main p ...[text shortened]... game is that you are playing the game using your ability to remember the moves that were played.
    and your ability to visualize those moves, it's one thing to remember what has been played, another to know the position you're in
  7. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 03:32
    Originally posted by gambit3
    If you play the game from the notation of the game you are not playing it blindly or blindfolded. In order to play a game blindfolded you are only allowed to know what your opponent has played and you are not to keep or have a record of the game as it is beimg played. You do not have to actually be blindfolded if you are not able to see the board. The main p ...[text shortened]... game is that you are playing the game using your ability to remember the moves that were played.
    Actually, most blindfold tournaments allow receipt of the current games notation upon
    request. I'm not sure if this is the case at very high levels, but blindfold simuls, and
    every blindfold match I've ever seen allowed this type of request.

That being said, I don't think I've seen it happen at a simul, but in a tournament I've
    personally watched an arbiter fulfill the request.

-GIN

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree