how good would you like to be?

how good would you like to be?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Hull, UK

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by diskamyl
ok, i got the point. 🙂

yeah, i hadn't noticed he was 1099. when he said he was 1600 a couple of years ago, I thought he'd be a lot higher now. you're probably right.
I'm only that low coz I started playing on this site then threw my games coz I couldn't play anymore. I'll be able to get my rating back up to 1600 within a few months.

However... if you really think that I can't attain that rating what would you consider to be an achievable goal?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by vipiu
I would bet against anyone anytime that he will not do that.
a safe bet. -but still people do achieve GM titles all the time. I doubt anyone who didn't aim for it ever made it though.

1) bah.
2) bah.
3) bah.
4) well, probably. but those are choices, not facts.

when I started I set as my first target 1800 in two years. and half-jokingly 2000 in 5 years. I still can't even grasp what kind of depth being an FM would take, but I'm pretty sure it's still something most people can achieve with enough motivation and dicipline. there aren't many people who are willing to make the necessary sacrifices though.

i

Hull, UK

Moves
06 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood
a safe bet. -but still people do achieve GM titles all the time. I doubt anyone who didn't aim for it ever made it though.

1) bah.
2) bah.
3) bah.
4) well, probably. but those are choices, not facts.

when I started I set as my first target 1800 in two years. and half-jokingly 2000 in 5 years. I still can't even grasp what kind of depth being an icipline. there aren't many people who are willing to make the necessary sacrifices though.
Thank you. Judging by the time line that you've gotten to nearly 2000 I reckon 15 years to GM level is possible. if not GM then as close as I can get!

If anyone is interested it was Rudolf Spielmann that I'm related to. Although he was my great grand uncle, so unfortunately not direct bloodline.

Whatever happens I'm gonna fight hard and surely that's the most important thing?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by icantwrite
Thank you. Judging by the time line that you've gotten to nearly 2000 I reckon 15 years to GM level is possible. if not GM then as close as I can get!

If anyone is interested it was Rudolf Spielmann that I'm related to. Although he was my great grand uncle, so unfortunately not direct bloodline.

Whatever happens I'm gonna fight hard and surely that's the most important thing?
well it's one thing to be close to breaking 2000 (with some possible fluke wins), and a whole another thing to score 50% against people who stay 2000+ consistently. I'm simply not there yet.

15 years for GM sounds reasonable, if I was aiming & working for that. I mean, if it would happen, 15 years would be what it took.

and I don't believe age has nearly as much impact on progress as people tend to think, BUT I was 30 when I started, so it is a factor.

and yes, motivation and ironclad determination are requirements for stuff like that. on any field of expertise.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
06 Mar 08

well it's one thing to be close to breaking 2000 (with some possible fluke wins), and a whole another thing to score 50% against people who stay 2000+ consistently. I'm simply not there yet.

15 years for GM sounds reasonable, if I was aiming & working for that. I mean, if it would happen, 15 years would be what it took.

and I don't believe age ...[text shortened]... n and ironclad determination are requirements for stuff like that. on any field of expertise.
Why don't you play OTB too ?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by ivan2908
Why don't you play OTB too ?
not enough bikini action.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
06 Mar 08

not enough bikini action.
You get bikini action in CC?! 😲

B

Moves
06 Mar 08
1 edit

I thought I would have a rating of 1800 when I came here (because that's my relative rating on Chessmaster 10). Maybe it'll rise but I don't think it'll get that high, it may stop in the mid 1600s. I want to have a rating in the 2000s, that's my goal. But I don't want to put the time into studying the game.

Edit: I'm pretty much better than most people I play in real life, so it wouldn't matter too much anyway.

C

Moves
06 Mar 08
3 edits

Originally posted by vipiu
the USCF and ECF guys...I hope you realize that your numbers can be read only by your countrymen...
in my opinion you should try to use more ELO word, even your numbers do not match exactly to an ELO number, we can get some estimation in our minds at least...
you can use the internet to get an approximate number by searching in google things like:
USCF vs FIDE (this one worked well)
USCF vs CFC (this one is just a guess)
CFC vs FIDE (this one is just a guess)

refer to my post above about how different the ratings are...
under 2200 it applies. over 2200 the conversions work differently.

*edit* basically CFC (Canadian Chess Rating system) is the lowest from those three (it kind of underrates players).
FIDE (is in the middle)
USCF (United States Chess Rating system) slightly overrates players.

FIDE = CFC + 35 (http://chess.ca/CFCvsFIDE.htm)
USCF = FIDE + 75 (http://forum.fide.com/viewtopic.php?p=2550&sid=6dcf73aeb14d219b80a502427bc73d25)

c

USA

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by zebano
Right now my goal is to reach USCF expert class (2000-2199). I'm currently 311 points away =)
I'm a little behind you; I'm 343 away. Though I actually want to reach NM, in which case I'm 543 away