Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 08 Jan '07 07:41
    When a game really means a lot to you, whether you're deep in a tournament or you just really want to win, about how long do you spend studying the board?

    The most I spend is 5-10 minutes and I think this is way too short. I need to learn to slow down. How about you guys?
  2. 08 Jan '07 07:56
    2-5 minutes. Of course in really complex positions I spend more
  3. 08 Jan '07 08:00
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    2-5 minutes. Of course in really complex positions I spend more
    I'm talking about the more complex positions.
  4. 08 Jan '07 08:10 / 1 edit
    In corr games the answer should be 'as long as it takes'. The great thing about corr is that you can work out the variations either with a board and paper or a program like cblight (no engine of course).

    10 minutes should allow you to avoid any stinkers but complex tactical positions would require more I would think.

    PS I like your profile statement about quality over quanity.
  5. 08 Jan '07 08:19
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    In corr games the answer should be 'as long as it takes'. The great thing about corr is that you can work out the variations either with a board and paper or a program like cblight (no engine of course).

    10 minutes should allow you to avoid any stinkers but complex tactical positions would require more I would think.

    PS I like your profile statement about quality over quanity.
    Thanks. It's slowly coming to fruition.
  6. 08 Jan '07 09:38
    I have spend sometimes more than half an hour on a move, althought that are exceptions.
    But 10-15 minutes in complex situation is not unusual for me.

    Adje
  7. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    08 Jan '07 09:39 / 2 edits
    Complex positions against strong players I can study till 2-3 hours. And when I have atime, I`m doing it when its my opponents turn to move.
  8. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    08 Jan '07 12:50
    as long as it takes. some time ago I took 10 days to work out and check variations on a positional 2nd sac. I won 20 half-moves later.
  9. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    08 Jan '07 13:07
    I analyse until i find a good strategy. You mentioned that you will put 5-10 minutes in. I do the same, but if i'm not completely satisfied i have found the right move, or i am a little uncertain, i'll close the game and come back to it later. I might put in another 10 minutes the next time, and the next time. Don't move unless you're happy with the move. You can build up a couple of hours worth of analysis this way over a week. Depends how much you want to win it really.

    I find the process of looking at a game over multiple days gives you an insight into the position that you wouldn't achieve if you put all the time in in one go. Don't ask me why, but i've found that to be the case. Give it a go.
  10. Standard member Diet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    08 Jan '07 13:34
    I will once I get rid of all my current games.
  11. 08 Jan '07 14:24
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    Thanks. It's slowly coming to fruition.
    to dmnelson84.
    according to how many games you have completed since early december 06 (several hundred) i get the impression that you could get a higher rating if you played lesser games. Take your time.
  12. 08 Jan '07 14:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I analyse until i find a good strategy. You mentioned that you will put 5-10 minutes in. I do the same, but if i'm not completely satisfied i have found the right move, or i am a little uncertain, i'll close the game and come back to it later. I might put in another 10 minutes the next time, and the next time. Don't move unless you're happy with the move time in in one go. Don't ask me why, but i've found that to be the case. Give it a go.
    I totally agree with this, in fact sometimes I have woke up in the middle of the night when I have been dreaming about one of my positions and have actually come up with a good move in my sleep (or an overall plan), sadly this is rare though. To answer the thread question I can take ages, but this is what I do not like about cc, because the longer you take the further you are getting away from how you can play otb.
  13. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    08 Jan '07 14:47
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    ...but this is what I do not like about cc, because the longer you take the further you are getting away from how you can play otb.
    well, you're not playing otb, you're playing cc, the quest for the best possible chess.
  14. 08 Jan '07 19:45
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    to dmnelson84.
    according to how many games you have completed since early december 06 (several hundred) i get the impression that you could get a higher rating if you played lesser games. Take your time.
    I know this all too well. Thank you for the consideration.