1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '11 21:111 edit
    How much time do you typically spend looking at a position before making a move. I'm not talking about during an opening when you are in book, I'm talking about a move that you come up with on your own.

I'm talking about here at RHP, not OTB.
  2. Standard memberWildfire
    Force of Nature
    The Bathroom
    Moves
    26 Jul '11 21:32
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How much time do you typically spend looking at a position before making a move. I'm not talking about during an opening when you are in book, I'm talking about a move that you come up with on your own.

I'm talking about here at RHP, not OTB.
    It depends on the position. If it's a simple position, 30 seconds or less is sufficient. If it's a difficult position, with a lot of ramifications possible, I spend about 5-10 minutes, and maybe skip it and come back to it after making some moves in other games.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '11 21:38
    Originally posted by Wildfire
    It depends on the position. If it's a simple position, 30 seconds or less is sufficient. If it's a difficult position, with a lot of ramifications possible, I spend about 5-10 minutes, and maybe skip it and come back to it after making some moves in other games.
    Do you ever blunder due to your 30 seconds or less approach when there's a simple position?
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 00:04
    7 days minimum.
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 03:41
    5 seconds....sometimes less.
  6. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 03:48
    If you want to be successful at correspondence- You should look at the position until you find the best move whether it takes 30 seconds or 30 hours. Then, go to sleep, get up the next day and double check your analysis before you actually make the move.

If you don't want to be successful then do whatever you want.
  7. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 13:52
    I do whatever I want.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 18:59
    Wow ww, 7 days! I usually move either after a few seconds or a few minutes. It's those few seconds move that can really mess me up. Most of them are OK, but it only takes one to really screw things up.
  9. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 19:081 edit
    I've just started playing here (I'd started some games here before, but I hadn't finished any of them). I try to analyze the positions I'm getting with this useful tool the site offers, where you can move the pieces around. It takes me hours to make a move and I am still able not to notice very simple things (simple even for me). It's very frustrating.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 19:381 edit
    Chess is a very frustrating game. That's for sure!

I think it is most frustrating in the first couples of years that you play because most people haven't learned to look at the board yet. You get caught off guard a lot and it isn't fun. Combine that with locking in your own pieces so that you don't have much you can do and you have a bad situation.

At least that was the case for me.

Of course the other frustrating thing was that I expected to win! It took a while for me to get over that one too! 😀

All the time in the world isn't going to help you to see something you can't see.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 20:371 edit
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Whatevah! I do what I want.
    FIX'D
  12. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    27 Jul '11 20:38
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    I do whatever I want.
    We'd have good games I bet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree