1. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '09 15:051 edit
    Sorry. I missed this argument.

Using your counting method of excluding squares attacked twice, wouldn't two rooks control 26 squares (2 x 14 - 2 shared)? And if so, the queen would be worth more than two rooks

I didn't subtract the common reaching squares for both cases. I just subtracted the squares that cannot be reached due to blockage.
  2. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '09 16:461 edit
    Thank you. I bought the new keyboard yesterday.
  3. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 10:17
    Which is more valuable, 30 kg of water or 30kg of gold? Think about it.
  4. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 10:351 edit
    Originally posted by Bahari
    Which is more valuable, 30 kg of water or 30kg of gold? Think about it.
    It depends on the situation.
    In most situations the gold is more valuable. In a situation where the water has more value. Then you are most certain screwed anyway,

(the above is written from the point of view of a human)
  5. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 14:021 edit
    Originally posted by MetBierOp
    It depends on the situation.
    In most situations the gold is more valuable. In a situation where the water has more value. Then you are most certain screwed anyway,

(the above is written from the point of view of a human)
    You are right. In most situations 30kg of gold is more valuable. This means if we don't know that we need 30kg of water more than 30kg of gold, then the later must be more valuable than the former.

Back to assigning values to the pieces on the chessboard. If we don't have any clear winning strategy that we can expect from our exchange menuaver, we better try at least to preserve material balance . That is how assigning exchange values to the pieces makes sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree