How many points is a queen worth?

How many points is a queen worth?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IC

Moves
10 Dec 06
2 edits

Originally posted by omulcusobolani
In the first diagram black is winning, in the second white, no matter who's move it is.
In the first diagram after Rxg8 there is no way black can queen a pawn. If the Bishop is protected by the pawn, then the board is upside down, all chess diagrams are oriented so that blacks side is at the top.
And you must always state who's move it is, if it isn't stated it is assumed it is whites move.

J

back in business

Moves
10 Dec 06

Originally posted by Golub
Erm.. that makes no sense.
neither does the first one

OP

liar.

Moves
10 Dec 06

Shape the game structure to increase the value of your pieces, while robbing the value of your opponents.

G

Stockholm, Sweden

Moves
10 Dec 06

Originally posted by Jusuh
neither does the first one
It does make sense (at least more than your idea). It is a good approximation of what the pieces are worth, usable by a beginner who has no idea. Secondly, it answers the question of the person stated in this topic, whereas you just spread mis-information.

J

back in business

Moves
10 Dec 06

Secondly, it answers the question of the person stated in this topic, whereas you just spread mis-information.
mis-information? how the hell it does that? I can show you thousands of positions where a queen has "a value" of "2 points".

G

Stockholm, Sweden

Moves
10 Dec 06

mis-information? how the hell it does that? I can show you thousands of positions where a queen has "a value" of "2 points".
Of course you can. Still, I don't see the point of giving those values. If you want to say it depends on the position, say it, don't give some random crap to a new player. And, as you replied to my post, the values I gave are much better established than the ones you gave. Do you even have a source for those values? Mention a book that states those values maybe? The point-system was introduced to give players and idea of how much the pieces are worth, we know they do not describe a piece's worth in any position. I don't see why you answered to my post with those values.

IC

Moves
10 Dec 06

http://k43.pbase.com/v3/21/14321/1/45693375.Dragqueen.jpg

Moves
10 Dec 06

I think the regular points given are something like this:

1=Pawn
3=Knight
3/3.5=Bishop
5=Rook
9/10=Queen
Yes, those are the standard values, which work for most positions.

For instance it's often a good idea to exchange a queen (worth 9 points) for two rooks (10 points).

If you're thinking of exchanging a rook (5 points) for a knight (3 points) make sure you also get a couple of pawns (2 points) for it. If you only get a knight plus one pawn, that's not usually enough.

However if you exchange a rook for bishop (3.5 points) and pawn, then that's usually okay. If you manage to get a bishop and 2 pawns for the rook, then that's nearly always a good trade.

Another situation which occurs frequently is when you have to decide whether to give up 2 pieces in order to win a rook. Again doing a simple value count is very useful. It's immediately obvious that trading 2 bishops (7 points) for a rook (5 points) is a bad idea. 2 knights (6 points) for a rook is far more likely to work, but you would still want to pick up an additional pawn.

J

back in business

Moves
10 Dec 06

Originally posted by David Tebb

For instance it's often a good idea to exchange a queen (worth 9 points) for two rooks (10 points).

If you're thinking of exchanging a rook (5 points) for a knight (3 points) make sure you also get a couple of pawns (2 points) for it. If you only get a knight plus one pawn, that's n ...[text shortened]... a rook is far more likely to work, but you would still want to pick up an additional pawn.
well here we see the problem with point-count. Beginners who have been taught to use the point-count system will for sure miss great number of opportunities. Like; How many times have you seen a rook (5 points) to be sacrificed for a knight (3 points) to gain an lasting initiative? Knight (3p) for a pawn (1p) to speed up your attack? Bishop (3.5p [lol]) for a knight (3p) to get rid of opponents well positioned knight? Two pawns for a pawn to mess up your opponents pawn structure? etc etc etc.

Moreover, they will learn the very bad and dangerous habit of playing with the pieces, NOT WITH POSITION. The sad truth is, only the position on the board matters. Its no good for you to be, say, 15 "points" up in material when you are going get mated.

Moves
10 Dec 06

well here we see the problem with point-count. Beginners who have been taught to use the point-count system will for sure miss great number of opportunities. Like; How many times have you seen a rook (5 points) to be sacrificed for a knight (3 points) to gain an lasting initiative? Knight (3p) for a pawn (1p) to speed up your attack? Bishop (3.5p [lol]) for a ...[text shortened]... ters. Its no good for you to be, say, 15 "points" up in material when you are going get mated.
Yes, but knowing the value of pieces is very important for any player. Of course, material is just one factor in chess. I agree that things like King safety or having an attack are often more important than anything else in a specific position.

I disagree with your argument that counting the pieces is a "very bad and dangerous habit". Unless there is an obvious mating attack on the board, the first thing anyone should do in order to assess the position is to count the material. Then you look at positional factors such as pawn structure, control of the centre and the weakness of key squares. For instance, if one player have an extra pawn, does his opponent have compensation for it? Maybe the player who is down on material has more active pieces or a far advanced passed pawn that is likely to queen. The assessment can be very tricky even for a grandmaster. But it always involves weighing positional factors against material ones. And in order to be able to accurately assess the material you have to count the points of the pieces.

But what does a beginner need to know? IMO they should first be told a few basic things to get them started, such as how the pieces move, the rules of castling, en passant, etc. Then they should be advised to develop the pieces sensibly, play a pawn to the centre, bring out the knights and bishops, castle. Then put rooks on useful squares, and keep the queen back for as long as possible. They should always check to see whether their opponents last move is threatening anything. They should rarely give up material. Once a player has advanced to the point that they can ignore material values and consider sacrificing a piece for a mating attack, then I would argue that they are no longer a beginner.

k

washington

Moves
10 Dec 06

who cares what a piece is worth we all know what the rooks and knights and bishops are worth. it depends on the position usually if your opponent has a lot of pawns with linked rooks vs a queen the queen will lose. its the position that matters when you are talking about the queen. if you lose it early duh your probably going to lose but it just depends on the position.

J

back in business

Moves
10 Dec 06
1 edit

Well thats true, but when it comes to deciding what to move, I think it would be ill-advised to use such a point count system, because it can prevent a beginner to come up with new ideas (like exchange sacs). Of course, it is possible that a beginner would miss those sacrifices anyway.

EDIT: response to Tebb

S

AsIn Chess,SoIn Life

Moves
23 Mar 09

Originally posted by David Tebb

If you're thinking of exchanging a rook (5 points) for a knight (3 points) make sure you also get a couple of pawns (2 points) for it. If you only get a knight plus one pawn, that's n ...[text shortened]... a rook is far more likely to work, but you would still want to pick up an additional pawn.
found myself playing Black in a very drawish Caro-Kann middlegame slugfest getting nowhere.
Very tough opponent, always finding perfect, attacking moves.

Then I looked at my opponent's games, and saw a pattern of wins with diagonal strikes involving bishop and Queen batteries.
Maneuvered into 2 exchanges:
Exchanged knight for the remaining bishop.
Then offered my 2 rooks for my opponent's queen, and the exchange was made.
And that yielded a favorable endgame, my "take-me" pawns tempting -- and my queen herding -- White's rooks into opposite sides of the board. Into a Q vs 2 R endgame -- which I then won.
Only by swapping 2 rooks for a Queen.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
23 Mar 09

Originally posted by darkguy00000
[fen]6bR/7p/5k2/8/p7/8/87K[/fen]

It's 5 points to 5 points here. Who is winning?
whites move?

R= 10
B = 0

MR

Moves
23 Mar 09

I feel a little silly posting to an old thread that's just been bumped, but what the hey.

I agree with others that it depends on the position and maybe a few other factors. But if you put a gun to my head and demand an average value for the queen, I'd say it's a 9 on the Reinfeld scale and a 9.75 on the Kaufman scale. Here's the Kaufman article:

http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Articles/evaluation_of_material_imbalance.htm