1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 20:28
    Originally posted by Guych
    Hi everyone,
    Maybe there is something like this in previous threads, however...

1) How many tactical problems have you done (solved and/or failed)?
    2) Is there any target for number of probs to be solved?
    3) What's the source of your problems.

By now I've done 5100 problems on CTS (chess tachtics server). On average I do about 200 - 400 per month.

Regards,
    for any kind of visible improvement, you should aim for something between 50-100 daily.
  2. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 17:52
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    for any kind of visible improvement, you should aim for something between 50-100 daily.
    I see. That's much more than I do now, but hopefully it'll get me above 1300s on CTS sometime.
  3. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 17:53
    Originally posted by wormwood
    1) 104,780
    2) 95% (I used to do 200-400 a day, at 85% )
    3) CTS
    104780/200-400 per day - that is really impressive. You must have seen some of the problems on CTS several times 🙂
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 17:56
    104780/200-400 per day - that is really impressive. You must have seen some of the problems on CTS several times 🙂
    yep. doesn't really prevent getting them wrong though.
  5. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 19:41
    What I very much don't like about CTS, is that it encourages moving very quickly, which I preffer not to do. I like the puzzles that take you a minute or so each...
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 19:551 edit
    Originally posted by moteutsch
    What I very much don't like about CTS, is that it encourages moving very quickly, which I preffer not to do. I like the puzzles that take you a minute or so each...
    so don't move quickly, nobody's forcing your hand. the system will automatically lower the problem ratings until they fit your level. then, as you learn them them well enough, it'll adjust the difficulty back up according to your progress.

I think I've taken something like up to 5min for a move. I just don't move until I'm sure.
  7. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 20:03
    Yeah... I keep telling that to myself, but when I look at my rating it drives me nuts...
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 20:211 edit
    Yeah... I keep telling that to myself, but when I look at my rating it drives me nuts...
    which is the real problem, not the time control: you're letting vanity hinder your improvement.

ignore rating, focus on learning. the number isn't what solves you the same situation on the board.

if it's any help, I started from 1050 three years ago.
  9. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 07:011 edit
    The thing is I do get most of them right when I play instinctively, but I preffer to play rrrreeeeaaaallll ssssslllllloooooowwwwwllllyyyyy so I want to make extra sure and calculate every variation. I guess I'll try it your way...
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 07:12
    The thing is I do get most of them right when I play instinctively, but I preffer to play rrrreeeeaaaallll ssssslllllloooooowwwwwllllyyyyy so I want to make extra sure and calculate every variation. I guess I'll try it your way...
    CTS isn't about calculation, its about pattern recognition.
  11. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 07:30
    Yes, but the point is that often they have some sort of inbetween move and I want to have seen everything and have found a sloution to it in advance...
  12. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 16:49
    which is the real problem, not the time control: you're letting vanity hinder your improvement.

ignore rating, focus on learning. the number isn't what solves you the same situation on the board.

if it's any help, I started from 1050 three years ago.
    I gained about 70 point in about a year 🙂
    So you target percentage of correct answers rather than the rating.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 18:08
    I gained about 70 point in about a year 🙂
    So you target percentage of correct answers rather than the rating.
    yeah. the rating will come as a side-effect. you also need to do a lot more than you have, 100 a day or more if possible. that's roughly an hour a day. watch out for burnout though, if you do a lot more. -it's better to do less problems continuously/daily than more sporadically.
  14. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 18:17
    yeah. the rating will come as a side-effect. you also need to do a lot more than you have, 100 a day or more if possible. that's roughly an hour a day. watch out for burnout though, if you do a lot more. -it's better to do less problems continuously/daily than more sporadically.
    if you solved so many CTS problems and you have such a high rating in speed CTS tactic problems, why do you have such a small FICS blitz rating(around 1300 if I recall well)...but an almost 2000 RHP rating ?
    ...I thought CTS problems would help mainly blitz...
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 18:331 edit
    I currently hold a lower FICS Blitz rating than CTS rating. It really does not correspond.

edit: also, there is a difference between solving concrete positions at leisure and playing Blitz chess on the internet with virtual pieces flying around.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree