1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 20:46
    Originally posted by vipiu
    if you solved so many CTS problems and you have such a high rating in speed CTS tactic problems, why do you have such a small FICS blitz rating(around 1300 if I recall well)...but an almost 2000 RHP rating ?
    ...I thought CTS problems would help mainly blitz...
    well, that's just the way it seems to work. I actually never saw any improvement in blitz until I started playing it daily. there just doesn't seem to be much/any connection between CTS and blitz.

if I knew why, I would've fixed it ages ago. my best guess is that blitz is about experience, not so much tactics. making sane non-tactical moves fast instead of brilliant ones. -I often collapse a piece up, or in an otherwise blatantly won position. I just can't seem to be able to wrap it up. lack of technique. -but all this might be just as wrong as any of the other theories I've had so far. the best I can say is that I simply don't know. the only thing that has worked so far has been playing a lot of blitz.

and if all this puzzles you, what about the other side of the coin: players who destroy me in blitz 10-0, how on earth some of them play so badly in CC when they actually get the time to think? I mean, it's far easier to understand doing mistakes in seconds, than when you have whole days to think, isn't it?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 21:532 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    well, that's just the way it seems to work. I actually never saw any improvement in blitz until I started playing it daily. there just doesn't seem to be much/any connection between CTS and blitz.

if I knew why, I would've fixed it ages ago. my best guess is that blitz is about experience, not so much tactics. making sane non-tactical moves fast i understand doing mistakes in seconds, than when you have whole days to think, isn't it?
    Suffering the from the same problem.
    Blitz 1126
    Standard 1708

worst of all, I really didn't care about blitz before, now I like it, and it feels so frustrating to suck at it this bad.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 01:451 edit
    (double post)
  4. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 11:28
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    Suffering the from the same problem.
    Blitz 1126
    Standard 1708

worst of all, I really didn't care about blitz before, now I like it, and it feels so frustrating to suck at it this bad.
    Same here
    Blitz (10/0) 1100s
    RHP 1400-1500s

That's why I hoped that CTs would help. But, apparently, there is little connection (as mentioned above by wormwood)...
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 10:09
    did you ever try whether you can stay 1600+ for a long time 90%+ session average or not? 🙂 say, for a 1000 try average?
    Bump!

Rating 1639
    Tries 1,000
    Success 99.5 % (995/1000)

I've added another "easy" Alptraum today, but for the rest it went OK.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 11:58
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Bump!

Rating 1639
    Tries 1,000
    Success 99.5 % (995/1000)

I've added another "easy" Alptraum today, but for the rest it went OK.
    what an awesome achievement!
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 12:31
    Amazing success rates... wow I've been trying to pull mine up and it's dreadfully slow, I was around 68% a couple of months ago (I haven't been practicing tactics much).

Rating 1570
    Tries 4933
    Success 70.4 %
  8. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 23:151 edit
    Thanks to [edit]that other[/edit] thread, a month further and the "goal" (on my normal account) is half achieved (although accuracy is still subpar):

Rating 1900
    Tries "too many"
    Success 66.0 % (willingly forgetting to mention the pure failure on 34.0 % of the positions)

But more importantly, a lot of pleasurable time spent on http://chess.emrald.net/ :-)

Now where can I collect the prize?

edit: silly me, posted in the wrong thread.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 03:29

if I knew why, I would've fixed it ages ago. my best guess is that blitz is about experience, not so much tactics. making sane non-tactical moves fast i ...[text shortened]... understand doing mistakes in seconds, than when you have whole days to think, isn't it?
    "my best guess is that blitz is about experience, not so much tactics."

You pretty much have it backwards here. Strong tactics are crucial in blitz, maybe the most important aspect of it. There isn't as much time to do lengthy calculations to prepare deep strategic ideas. It's generally why younger players, who lack experience, but are often strong tactically, are "blitz heavy" in their ratings, compared to their OTB play.

Of course, to play beyond the 2200 level of blitz, as I do, you require much more than tactics. Technique and endgame skill are important.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 04:03
    Originally posted by MindWars
    "my best guess is that blitz is about experience, not so much tactics."

You pretty much have it backwards here. Strong tactics are crucial in blitz, maybe the most important aspect of it. There isn't as much time to do lengthy calculations to prepare deep strategic ideas. It's generally why younger players, who lack experience, but are often strong tacti ...[text shortened]... z, as I do, you require much more than tactics. Technique and endgame skill are important.
    What time controls do you play at for the most part(in blitz)? I find that my performance decreases dramatically from 5/0 blitz to 3/0 blitz to 1/0 blitz. I am not talking about my quality of play as that is a given, but purely performance.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 04:391 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    What time controls do you play at for the most part(in blitz)? I find that my performance decreases dramatically from 5/0 blitz to 3/0 blitz to 1/0 blitz. I am not talking about my quality of play as that is a given, but purely performance.
    Yeah, I think I got your meaning. You're talking about your performance relative to others, right? In other words, you feel that your strength falls off faster than for the typical player, as the time controls are shortened.

Well I think the opposite is true for most people. According to the playchess.com server, the bullet ratings, for a given player, tend to be higher than the blitz ratings. Many people prefer bullet (1 or 2 minute games) these days for their online chess, so that they can be sure that their opponent isn't plugging in the movies into a chess program, on another computer.

As for myself, I play it all.....5, 3, 2, 1, etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree