1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 05:37
    Originally posted by vivify
    Let's suppose we were to rate the king based purely on it's ability to move, the same we judge the other pieces. How much would the King be worth? Would you say it would be worth more or less than the knight?

Based on nothing else but the King's ability to move, I'd say it's worth maybe 2.5 points.
    Imagine it another way that keeps the king's absolute value and so retains that essential element of the game: How much will the queen be worth if her moves are the same as the king's -- but she is expendable, can give check directly, and can move into and/or remain en garde, none of which apply to the king (noting that she cannot castle)?
  2. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 05:441 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Let's suppose we were to rate the king based purely on it's ability to move, the same we judge the other pieces. How much would the King be worth? Would you say it would be worth more or less than the knight?

Based on nothing else but the King's ability to move, I'd say it's worth maybe 2.5 points.
    Stronger than a minor piece + 1 pawn. Only Slightly weaker than a rook.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 14:49
    Originally posted by Bahari
    Stronger than a minor piece + 1 pawn. Only Slightly weaker than a rook.
    ding ding ding ding...we have a winner! 4 it is.}
  4. c6
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 15:561 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    To be pedantic, 4 is not an element of (4,5)
  5. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 18:21
    infinite as you have to protect the king.
    It's worth 4 pawns though if you look at it strictly from a material standpoint.
  6. Dublin
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 18:44
    Originally posted by davaniel
    You can't force a pawn and queen mate either
    This position can be forced easily enough.

I'm not sure if you can do it with a d or e pawn though.
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 19:12
    Originally posted by bill718
    The King is worth 4 points. I would not want to have a lone King vs 3 pawns.
  8. Joined
    23 Dec '10
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 19:25
    Interesting question. I always gave the K a value of 2.5 but must admit that's inadequate.

Though it may be only an acedemic exercise, compare 2 Kings v 1 King to King+Minor Piece v King in the ability to bully the opposing King around the board. It's far easier to manipulate the opposing King with 2 Kings.

A value of 4 seems reasonable, but I'd hate to go up against 4 pawns with only my King, even if the opposing King is off in a corner and out of play.

So I suggest his value is more than 3 but not quite 4 ?!
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 04:54
    http://www.chess.com/article/view/chess-piece-value

I found this article interesting. 🙂
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 14:45
    Originally posted by Schumi
    I'm not sure if you can do it with a d or e pawn though.
    You can't, AFAICT. That's why I noted that the pawn needs to be well-placed.
    Of course, with the pawn on any file, you can use the queen to corral the king away from it and then promote the pawn, with an instant mate, but that wasn't really the point.

Richard
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 14:55
    Originally posted by Blackeyed Pawn
    A value of 4 seems reasonable, but I'd hate to go up against 4 pawns with only my King, even if the opposing King is off in a corner and out of play.
    Connected pawns, or isolated? Back at row 7, or all the way down the board at rows 2-4? Four connected pawns at their opponent's half of the board are worth much, much more than four "pawns". Four isolated ones back on their own home squares, in the end game when the king is free to attack, are worth nearly diddly-squat.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree