Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 16 May '14 08:19
    The Yugoslav attack in the Sicilian i suspect is kind of like the epitome of how to attack the fianchetto position, we launch the h pawn, try to swap off the bishop, crack open the h file etc etc I am trying to find out if there are other methods. I have read that sacrifices on f5 can work in the case of playing against a black kingside fianchetto but I am having trouble finding games where this is the case, anyone know of any or have a method of attacking the fianchetto they have found practical?
  2. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    16 May '14 18:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Yugoslav attack in the Sicilian i suspect is kind of like the epitome of how to attack the fianchetto position, we launch the h pawn, try to swap off the bishop, crack open the h file etc etc I am trying to find out if there are other methods. I have read that sacrifices on f5 can work in the case of playing against a black kingside fianchetto ...[text shortened]... case, anyone know of any or have a method of attacking the fianchetto they have found practical?
    YouTube
  3. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    16 May '14 18:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Yugoslav attack in the Sicilian i suspect is kind of like the epitome of how to attack the fianchetto position, we launch the h pawn, try to swap off the bishop, crack open the h file etc etc I am trying to find out if there are other methods. I have read that sacrifices on f5 can work in the case of playing against a black kingside fianchetto ...[text shortened]... case, anyone know of any or have a method of attacking the fianchetto they have found practical?
    They'll counter the Yugo by sticking an N on c4 and P on h5. But you can still capitalize on square weaknesses by playing 9.0-0-0! instead of 9.Bc4.

    Here was an interesting example from a recent game of mine. I don't think I played the most accurate moves at the end, but a W is a W.

  4. Subscriber 64squaresofpain On Vacation
    The drunk knight
    16 May '14 19:43
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    They'll counter the Yugo by sticking an N on c4 and P on h5. But you can still capitalize on square weaknesses by playing 9.0-0-0! instead of 9.Bc4.

    Here was an interesting example from a recent game of mine. I don't think I played the most accurate moves at the end, but a W is a W.

    [pgn]
    [Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com" ...[text shortened]... 7 Re8+.} Bf4 38. hxg6 Rb1+ {Some spite checks before death.} 39. Kc2 Rc1+ 40. Kb2 {1-0 }
    [/pgn]
    This will come in handy for our current game in the sicilian, much obliged
  5. 16 May '14 21:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qDJoufsPDI
    yes this is a very famous game that I was aware of but its an orthodox h pawn attack and exchange sacrifice. I am looking for sacrifices on f5! if black blocks the h file with h5. Games like this.

    Ivanchuck v Serper


    I also believe there is something termed the Benoni hop where a knight sacrifices itself on f5 if the conditions warrant it but i can find no games with the idea.
  6. 16 May '14 21:21
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    They'll counter the Yugo by sticking an N on c4 and P on h5. But you can still capitalize on square weaknesses by playing 9.0-0-0! instead of 9.Bc4.

    Here was an interesting example from a recent game of mine. I don't think I played the most accurate moves at the end, but a W is a W.

    [pgn]
    [Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com" ...[text shortened]... 7 Re8+.} Bf4 38. hxg6 Rb1+ {Some spite checks before death.} 39. Kc2 Rc1+ 40. Kb2 {1-0 }
    [/pgn]
    very interesting but i am more interested in the concepts in a generic sense rather than explicit theory although i do thank you for a very interesting game.
  7. 16 May '14 21:22
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    This will come in handy for our current game in the sicilian, much obliged
    Karma will get you for sure!
  8. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    16 May '14 23:21
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    This will come in handy for our current game in the sicilian, much obliged
    Heh, I am more than happy for people to copy the black side of that against me.
  9. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    17 May '14 20:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    T... have a method of attacking the fianchetto they have found practical?
    Whenever playing against a fianchetto it’s always worth considering if you can give up a rook for the bishop.

    A couple of examples

    White sacs:
    Karpov - Malaniuk, Moscow 1988
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1068678


    Black sacs:
    Anand - Topalov, World Championship match 2010
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1581338


    Probably quite rare in the Yugoslav Attack, though, since White would typically be looking to castle long.
  10. 18 May '14 15:09
    With the standard 9. bc4 line of play for white against the Dragon does 14. g4 now replace 14. h4?