1. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 01:24
    Hi, I'm having some dificulties with a friend of mine that likes to advance his pawns towards my king, specially when i castle early. Than he blows my castle... How do I respond to that? I think it's crazy to avance the pawns like that but I just cant deal properly with that.

thanks
  2. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 01:27
    Attack the center.

and oh ya.....make good moves to counter his bad moves.
  3. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 01:30
    If your opponent is attacking your king side, you need to set your defenses on your kingside, so that you can thwart your opponents' attack. You might get to sneak some your pieces around the pawn storm and start an attack of your own.
  4. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 01:30
    Can you post a couple of games that show examples of this?
  5. USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 01:31
    Originally posted by monteirof
    Hi, I'm having some dificulties with a friend of mine that likes to advance his pawns towards my king, specially when i castle early. Than he blows my castle... How do I respond to that? I think it's crazy to avance the pawns like that but I just cant deal properly with that.

thanks
    The best response to an attack on a wing is a counter attack in the center. But, unless you provide some specific games, that's all I can give you.
  6. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 01:36
    try and get pieces behind the pawns as they come up the board at you - it can cause serious problems to the enemy king which no longer has the pawn cover.

Also, try and break the pawns up as they come, play pawn moves to intercept the attacking pawns so that when they arrive, it is in a right mess and not a coordinated attack.

Delay castling for as long as possible - it is unlikely for a player to pawn rush up both sides of the board, he has to put his king somewhere. Once a side has been overrun by pawns, castle on the other side and pick off the lose pawns with your pieces.

Lastly, try and initiate your own pawn rush - one thing a pawn rushing player really hates is for his opponent to charge him down as well.
  7. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 01:47
    here are some examples

this one I lost a knight, but won in the end.
    Game 4149512

this one I lost, not exactly cause of the pawns, but it cause me trouble

Game 4106184

this one I was totally losing, but drawn with perpetual check
    Game 3983967
  8. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 01:48
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Can you post a couple of games that show examples of this?
    there it is 😉
  9. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 02:10
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    try and get pieces behind the pawns as they come up the board at you - it can cause serious problems to the enemy king which no longer has the pawn cover.

Also, try and break the pawns up as they come, play pawn moves to intercept the attacking pawns so that when they arrive, it is in a right mess and not a coordinated attack.

Delay castling ...[text shortened]... h - one thing a pawn rushing player really hates is for his opponent to charge him down as well.
    he's crazy enough to rush both sides...

those are good points,

I usually try to attack his unprotected king, sometimes it works... probably the safest thing is to delay castle... but I liked the idea of doing my own rush 🙂
  10. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 02:24
    Originally posted by monteirof
    here are some examples

this one I lost a knight, but won in the end.
    Game 4149512

this one I lost, not exactly cause of the pawns, but it cause me trouble

Game 4106184

this one I was totally losing, but drawn with perpetual check
    Game 3983967
    From what I saw of those games you ARE getting your piecs behind his pawn rushes, you just lacked the bravery to follow up your attacks and began retreating.

Game 1 you castled right into a pawn storm - that was a definate example of when to delay castling. Also if he didnt play bc3 at the end it was a drawn game.

Game 2 - you missed mate in one for two moves running - Qe1#

Game 3, lasted a bit longer - this one was a more tricky position, I have had troubles with that sort of position but I generally try and break their stranglehold as soon as possible, before the attack gets dangerous. You left it too late here.

From these games what I can reccomend is a simple plan which you should find helps your game.

Try and play e5 or d5 in a game as black - if you set your mind to playing those moves and prepare them, you will find you have less to worry about on the flanks with the centre open.
  11. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 03:092 edits
    Sorry I'm not responding to your question but pointing out a question of my own. 48. ... bxc3 was the wrong thing to play am I right? 48. ... b3 makes queen correct?

EDIT: Game 1 sorry.

EDIT The Redux: I played it out. It doesn't.
  12. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 12:41
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex

Game 2 - you missed mate in one for two moves running - Qe1#

From these games what I can reccomend is a simple plan which you should find helps your game.

Try and play e5 or d5 in a game as black - if you set your mind to playing those moves and prepare them, you will find you have less to worry about on the flanks with the centre open.[/b]
    I cant believe I missed mate in one!!! Two times!!😲
    Damn!

Game 3 I agree I was being too passive

I liked the plan of opening the center, gonna try that!

thanks!
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 12:531 edit
    Originally posted by deeploser
    Sorry I'm not responding to your question but pointing out a question of my own. 48. ... bxc3 was the wrong thing to play am I right? 48. ... b3 makes queen correct?

EDIT: Game 1 sorry.

EDIT The Redux: I played it out. It doesn't.
    I think 47... c3 was a blunder, it was a draw position, he should have mantained that with 47... Kf6 or Kg6 (edit: i mean h6)
  14. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 14:10
    In defending, if your opponent has more power (pieces) behind the pawns which are storming, try not to exchange pawns and open up lines. Good idea to use your opponents pawns to block his attack, even his pawns are advanced.
  15. London
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 14:48
    This sort of attack has caught me off guard a few times in blitz as it takes you out of familiar set ups and the opponent can move very quickly throwing the pawns forward...gets frustrating as you know they are playing badly but you still lose to them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree