1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 03:49
    hey i have a problem especially when it comes to studying chess, im very impatient and this works aginst me. i did get a diagnosis of bipolar disorder a few years ago, but ive never taken any meds and never will, i just take some good vitamins instead and it seems to work. but i can be really intense and impatient. on the tennis court the intensity definetly works to my favor, bu the inpatients definetly hinders me to improve my chess. my nature is it be inpateinent. so i dont know if i could change that.

but any tips to improving my pateints around chess would be much appreciated!

by the way i noticed that today i made to move for like 35 games and i did all the moves in like 20 minutes, thats a bit faster then usual but it was cause i was in a hurry.
  2. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 10:01
    Well if you are impatient why not just stick to Blitz chess ?

I don't really have the time for long games, I'm a bullet addict. I can't stand playing a game where the person spends 30 seconds to make his 2nd move!! It drives me nuts.

In saying that tho it isn't really my problem, because I'm stuck in my bullet mindset. I just move very fast regardless of how long or slow my opp has taken to make his move. But of course the errors highlight themselves a hell of a lot more in longer timed games than 1min games.

But I think you should try some timed blitz games, say something like 15minutes. Spend your time evaluating the position and try to make the best move possible, after the game you could analyze it with an engine to see any mistakes you made.

It will be hard to learn patience through CC because everyone is different (work, 1 move a day etc etc) and you also need to take into consideration timezones.
  3. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 12:18
    >Patients or Patience?
    >They are two different words with different meanings.
  4. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 14:15
    having noted that his/her english is better than my estonian.

Go to the Stereo Bar or the bar with no name and pace yourself to a drink between each move.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 14:441 edit
    Originally posted by Arrak
    hey i have a problem especially when it comes to studying chess, im very impatient and this works aginst me. i did get a diagnosis of bipolar disorder a few years ago, but ive never taken any meds and never will, i just take some good vitamins instead and it seems to work. but i can be really intense and impatient. on the tennis court the intensity definetl ...[text shortened]... l the moves in like 20 minutes, thats a bit faster then usual but it was cause i was in a hurry.
    correspondence chess is probably perfect for building up discipline then. I'd guess blitz would only make your impatience worse?

just make yourself a rule of never moving within an hour of seeing the move of your opponent, and stick with it without any exceptions. even in opening moves.

that should increase your understanding of the positions you're in drastically, and cut blunders equally, leading to a much higher pace of improvement.
  6. e4
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 16:57
    Originally posted by wormwood
    correspondence chess is probably perfect for building up discipline then. I'd guess blitz would only make your impatience worse?

just make yourself a rule of never moving within an hour of seeing the move of your opponent, and stick with it without any exceptions. even in opening moves.

that should increase your understanding of the positions you're in drastically, and cut blunders equally, leading to a much higher pace of improvement.
    These are wise words. Especially about the hour wait.

I'm at work ATM - sneaked on here and made 3 moves in as
    many seconds - OK am still in opening (moves 8-9) but it's
    a bad habit.

Impatience in Chess at the lark and OTB is a sin.

I do wish this thread would hurry up and finsh.

(spent more time writing this than I did looking at my games -
    I shall reap a whirlwind).
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 17:29
    Pair them up with doctors who also play. 😵
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 20:21
    how to excercise patients in chess?
    Here's a good link:
    http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200201/000020020101A0394887.php
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 21:14
    Think of patience as being a skill instead of a personality trait - its something you have to practice doing, and over time you get better and better at it. Like anything else, this skill comes easier for some than it does for others. Chess is probably one of the best ways of developing this skill since impatient play often leads quickly to really bad moves - especially those blunders where you feel like knocking over the chessboard in disgust (thankfully, this isn't OTB play).

I like to think of each move as being a separate chess problem where you have to find the best move -- there may be some very good moves available, but they aren't necesarily the BEST move. Don't make a move until you really believe that you've found the best move -- (for me, I wish this always meant that it really WAS the best move but that's another issue). Forget about whether you're winning or losing - just look at the board and find that best move.
  10. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 06:12
    hey i have a problem especially when it comes to studying chess, im very impatient and this works aginst me. i did get a diagnosis of bipolar disorder a few years ago, but ive never taken any meds and never will, i just take some good vitamins instead and it seems to work. but i can be really intense and impatient. on the tennis court the intensity definetl ...[text shortened]... l the moves in like 20 minutes, thats a bit faster then usual but it was cause i was in a hurry.
    I found some physical exercise before chess helps me a lot. This may not solve your entire problem, but I'm sure it will make it easier to concentrate.😏
  11. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 07:35
    To exercise patients in chess, have them get up from the freakin keyboard and walk for a mile or two. Uphill. There and back.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree