1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 20:56
    I ended up with this game in a 3/0 on FICS. Could someone give me some ideas on how to proceed for black?

I blundered here and played Nxe4 and resigned, but going back to the position I can't figure out what would be the best way to proceed.
  2. Joined
    20 May '09
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 21:01
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I ended up with this game in a 3/0 on FICS. Could someone give me some ideas on how to proceed for black?

[fen]r4rk1/4qpp1/2p1pn1p/2b5/Pn1pP2B/1Q6/2P1BPPP/1R1N1RK1 b - - 0 23[/fen]

I blundered here and played Nxe4 and resigned, but going back to the position I can't figure out what would be the best way to proceed.
    g5 Bg3 Nxe4 perhaps?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 21:401 edit
    Originally posted by Peter Henriksen
    g5 Bg3 Nxe4 perhaps?
    which would threaten a nasty triple fork with Nd2 - trying to figure out how white would respond to this.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 23:102 edits
    Originally posted by amolv06

[fen]r4rk1/4qpp1/2p1pn1p/2b5/Pn1pP2B/1Q6/2P1BPPP/1R1N1RK1 b - - 0 23[/fen]

it seems to me my friend that white is threatening e5, exploiting the nasty pin, therfore it seems imperative that one should try to prevent this. However we must ask ourselves, is the threat real? Can i simply ignore it and threaten something greater? what about Rook to b8? threatening the queen with a discovered attack.? white may simply respond with Qeen c4 and the threat is real again, therefore it seems to me that we need to meet the threat. but how to do it? ...e5 is plausible but upon further inspection it seems to wise to open the a2-g8 diagonal for we have no white squared bishop and will have difficulty as it is defending our light squares, our pieces shall be tied to the defence of weak points like f7 reducing our mobility, what about the idea of Bd6 and then Be5, neutralising the pin, preventing the move e5, allowing the move c5 releasing the queen from her duty to protect the knight and we are it seems to me in good shape. we shall need to watch out for the knight at d4 coming to c4, but we can create some pressure either through the centre or on the a nd b files with our rooks.

I realise that this may indeed be total nonsense, i am after all a patzer with a propensity for huge errors, but this is how i view the position, i dont know if it helps but it was certainly fun reviewing your game 🙂 Infact after checking it with a computer, it is total nonsense, please ignore!!!!

or you could just follow the computers line of ..g5 , Bg3 Nxe4, Ra1 and Nd2 winning 🙂
  5. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 00:111 edit
    ...Qa7 seems good to me. Exchanging on f6 just opens lines for black and e5 doesn't do anything except cramp whites dark bishop.
  6. Joined
    09 Mar '10
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 01:05
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    ...Qa7 seems good to me. Exchanging on f6 just opens lines for black and e5 doesn't do anything except cramp whites dark bishop.
    After 1...Qa7, 2.Bxf6 gf 3.Nb2 doesn't look too bad for white. The pawn on e4 looks to be more an asset than a target, the half-open g-file is useful to white at the moment, and there are the weaklings on f6 & h6 to worry about: white can get in Qg3+ followed by Qf4, and the N on b2 can go to d3 or c4 where it can keep an eye on the dark squares in the center. There are probably better plans for white, that's just what my Patzer brain could come up with in a few minutes.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 01:293 edits
    Originally posted by Artardo
    After 1...Qa7, 2.Bxf6 gf 3.Nb2 doesn't look too bad for white. The pawn on e4 looks to be more an asset than a target, the half-open g-file is useful to white at the moment, and there are the weaklings on f6 & h6 to worry about: white can get in Qg3+ followed by Qf4, and the N on b2 can go to d3 or c4 where it can keep an eye on the dark squares in the cente ...[text shortened]... better plans for white, that's just what my Patzer brain could come up with in a few minutes.
    You're giving white extra moves. What does black do after Qf4? Does Qxf6 even do anything for white? final edit: I don't know about ...Qa7 but you have hardly shown me anything to make me scared to play it.
  8. Joined
    09 Mar '10
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 02:011 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You're giving white extra moves. What does black do after Qf4? Does Qxf6 even do anything for white? final edit: I don't know about ...Qa7 but you have hardly shown me anything to make me scared to play it.
    I'm pointing out white's options, and what positions he might try to play for. Of course, Whether he can play those moves or not depends on what black does. But having options is a lot better than not having options 😉 1...Qa7 gives white useful things to do, and in particular it gives white a chance to get rid of the dangerous N on f6 and safeguard his e-pawn. Other moves by black might give white fewer options, or no good options at all.

It doesn't mean 1...Qa7 is a bad move, but there's probably a better one. Personally, I think 1...g5 is better, since white will have a hard time not losing a bunch of material after that. What's black's plan after 1...Qa7?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree