1. washington
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 12:36
    I'd rather play against the scotch than the vienna game.
  2. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 12:58
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Because of opponents' preparation. I do not want them to have preparation for me, I want to be a step ahead...

I recently had to play against an opponent that plays 1d4 1c4 and 1e4 and made my preparation almost impossible.
    Plus that I think this will increase my general chess knowledge on a long term...see the Linares players...they all play all...
    I think putting yourself on the same level as the Linares players is scary. If YOU would be on the same level you wouldn't ask us for advise.
    I guess players on your (ok, perhaps our) level should stick to one opening move.
    Making drastic changes to your opening reportoire won't really make you a better player. I think it will confuse you more than your opponents.
    But that's just my opinion.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 15:50
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Hi,
    I am a somehow advanced chess player. I have a general knowledge of all the openings, but:
    I play only 1. d4.

I am planning to start using 1.e4 in long games. I started to use it in blitz a few days back, with closed games in sicilian, like 1e4 c5 2 g3 and some King's gambits against e5, where even I do not know any theory comes a bit natural, and in ...[text shortened]... closed games that I prefer but to make it tougher for the opponents to prepare...
    Any advice?
    if you are going to play 1.e4 you must surely prepare for the obvious first 1...e5, what will you play? Kings Gambit, Ruy Lopez, Scotch, Italian or my favourite the Bishops opening. Also what will you play against the scicilain? the French, the Scandinavian, the Caro-khan, the modern/pirc, not to mention the Alekhine and 1...Nc6 the Nimzo defence. 1.e4 is a way of living, not for the fainthearted nor for those woosie 1.d4 players! if i may make but a small suggestion, try getting the book, attacking with 1.e4 by john emms, it is built to try to establish some kind of repertoire for 1.e4 players and has many instructive games, but best of all it tells why such and such a move is not so good - wish you well, regards robbie.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 16:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if you are going to play 1.e4 you must surely prepare for the obvious first 1...e5, what will you play? Kings Gambit, Ruy Lopez, Scotch, Italian or my favourite the Bishops opening. Also what will you play against the scicilain? the French, the Scandinavian, the Caro-khan, the modern/pirc, not to mention the Alekhine and 1...Nc6 the Nimzo defence. ...[text shortened]... ut best of all it tells why such and such a move is not so good - wish you well, regards robbie.
    Woosies the wan dot d fourers???
    😵
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 16:33
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Woosies the wan dot d fourers???
    😵
    you know beetle, i had the nerve to say this to a guy rated almost 500 points higher, them wan dot dee four woosies!
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 18:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you know beetle, i had the nerve to say this to a guy rated almost 500 points higher, them wan dot dee four woosies!
    Well it really sounds good, sure thing😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree