1. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 13:39
    Hi,
    I am a somehow advanced chess player. I have a general knowledge of all the openings, but:
    I play only 1. d4.

I am planning to start using 1.e4 in long games. I started to use it in blitz a few days back, with closed games in sicilian, like 1e4 c5 2 g3 and some King's gambits against e5, where even I do not know any theory comes a bit natural, and in blitz I do not need all that opening knowledge...
    I am looking for some safe, quiet lines/plans for 1.e4(in 1d4 style), where to get the closed games that I prefer but to make it tougher for the opponents to prepare...
    Any advice?
  2. Joined
    16 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 13:56
    I started playing the alapin sicilian (e4 e5 c3), sound positional line building a strong centre and castling short. Throws the usual sicilian player of guard.

The french and caro are already quite closed, against the caro the advance closes the centre immediatly. Against e5 you could just go for the ruy, which is in itself a strategical opening rather than all out tactical melee (although black can always insist on a sharp game, as with any other opening).
  3. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 14:04
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Hi,
    I am a somehow advanced chess player. I have a general knowledge of all the openings, but:
    I play only 1. d4.

Any advice?
    stay playing 1.d4!!!
    Why changing your opening move after several years of playing 1.d4?
  4. Joined
    16 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 14:13
    He told it in his post, to avoid preparation by his opponents.
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 14:15
    Originally posted by Alzheimer
    stay playing 1.d4!!!
    Why changing your opening move after several years of playing 1.d4?
    Because of opponents' preparation. I do not want them to have preparation for me, I want to be a step ahead...

I recently had to play against an opponent that plays 1d4 1c4 and 1e4 and made my preparation almost impossible.
    Plus that I think this will increase my general chess knowledge on a long term...see the Linares players...they all play all...
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 14:18
    Originally posted by Garnoth
    I started playing the alapin sicilian (e4 e5 c3), sound positional line building a strong centre and castling short. Throws the usual sicilian player of guard.

The french and caro are already quite closed, against the caro the advance closes the centre immediatly. Against e5 you could just go for the ruy, which is in itself a strategical opening rather th ...[text shortened]... ut tactical melee (although black can always insist on a sharp game, as with any other opening).
    I do not like to play Ruy
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 14:231 edit
    Hi,
    I play only 1. d4.

I am planning to start using 1.e4 in long games. I started to use it in blitz a few days back, with closed games in sicilian, like 1e4 c5 2 g3 and some King's gambits against e5, where even I do not know any theory comes a bit natural, and in ...[text shortened]... closed games that I prefer but to make it tougher for the opponents to prepare...
    Any advice?
    I was never a 1 d4 player but I've switched recently from immediately aggressive lines against the French, Caro and Sicilian to the King's Indian Attack opening with 1 e4 as recommended in Emm's Starting Out book. I'd say it's safe and quiet to begin with but can easily lead to good attacking positions against Black's Kingside. Moro has some good games with it, esp. against the French.
  8. Joined
    16 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 14:24
    Well, it very hard to find a solid line against e5 that's not wild and tactical (except for the ruy), if you like KG, go for it, but it's hardly like any d4 opening...

Quiet line in e4 e5 are mostly very open (scotch), which is far removed from d4 openings....
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 15:48
    Hi,
    I play only 1. d4.

I am planning to start using 1.e4 in long games. I started to use it in blitz a few days back, with closed games in sicilian, like 1e4 c5 2 g3 and some King's gambits against e5, where even I do not know any theory comes a bit natural, and in ...[text shortened]... closed games that I prefer but to make it tougher for the opponents to prepare...
    Any advice?
    the c3-experts like tiviakov seem to get great scores against sicilian players, but those who only dabble at it not so great. I guess that's true for any opening, but at least it tells you there's great potential if you just put in the work.

to me, 2.c3 gives most difficulties as black, but then again my openings are still very weak.

what do you play against 1.e4 yourself?
  10. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 16:04
    I've been playing chess since 1960, playing 1.e4 until about 1970 when I played both 1.e4 and 1.d4, but I haven't opened with 1.e4 since 2003 and I have a friend who hasn't opened with 1.e4 since 1977.
  11. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 20:14
    Originally posted by wormwood
    the c3-experts like tiviakov seem to get great scores against sicilian players, but those who only dabble at it not so great. I guess that's true for any opening, but at least it tells you there's great potential if you just put in the work.

to me, 2.c3 gives most difficulties as black, but then again my openings are still very weak.

what do you play against 1.e4 yourself?
    French main, Alechine recently as a surprise and sometime sicilian if I know what line my opponent will chose.
  12. Joined
    03 Nov '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 21:23
    You might consider playing Nf3, with the chance of transposing into a favorable d4 opening.
  13. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 00:39
    While I play e4 to open up the game for all kinds of tactical openings, like the Dragon, Najdorf, Scotch, etc., there are also some quieter lines, for one the Alpin Sicilan.

However, IMO, the point of playing e4 is tactics. If you want to play closed positional games, play d4 and Nf3.
  14. washington
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 04:14
    it is not difficult to equalize against the closed sicilian. I found that variations of e4 Nc3 black has to know better lines or if he tries his usual d6 and Nf6 moves white can really throw blacks game out of wack. Keeping it entirely closed I would say you are better off keeping a closed d4 game opposed to a closed e4 game. e4 is meant for open games which white can use his extra move to attack.
  15. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 16:35
    learn the Scotch Game: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Nxe4

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree