1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 21:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, how could we have known otherwise🙂

One thing, Marc, you have played not a single move here. How can we even tell what level you are at? Like are you a bottom end club player? Expert? Why do you bother commenting here if you intend never to play a game?
    Maybe the guy just likes to talk about chess. So what if he hasn't played a game here? Leave him alone.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 13:31
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Maybe the guy just likes to talk about chess. So what if he hasn't played a game here? Leave him alone.
    well, I have to admit he is not a troll, doesn't knock people for no reason. I guess there is room for non-players here if they behave in a civilized manner.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 09:08
    Originally posted by Marc Benford
    Hello.

So I just wanted to know how should I play if I want to win against the GM and the IM? And let me make it clear: I want to win, not draw.

Should I play sharp openings? Or should I continue to use my quiet and positional opening repertoire?
    Should I move fast so that the GM's clock runs out fast and he makes a blunder in time pressure? Sh ...[text shortened]... itions) Should I try to play some cheap tricks on the GM?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Do you have a choice of colors? If so, take white and prepare an opening.

Avoid cheap tricks and obvious traps; GMs spot those things immediately and crush them.

Avoid openings which tend to be decided tactically in the first 15 moves (Latvian); GMs see tactical refutations instantly and they'll sweep you aside.

Play an opening you know well and which is positionally sound (Slav against QGD, for example).

Bear in mind that it will get harder and harder for you as the games progress because, as the GM knocks others out, he comes round to your board at ever shorter intervals. Ergo, save your passes for then.

Don't be timid. Attack if you see an opportunity.
  4. Joined
    06 May '13
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 20:17
    OMG! I played a GM in a simul, and he blundered a bishop! I was completely winning, but the time control was too fast for me and so I got into time trouble (I played move 20 to 70 only on the 15 seconds increment). And so I managed to lose this! I don't know if I'll ever get an opportunity like that again... 🙁

5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 21:07
    OMG! I played a GM in a simul, and he blundered a bishop! I was completely winning, but the time control was too fast for me and so I got into time trouble (I played move 20 to 70 only on the 15 seconds increment). And so I managed to lose this! I don't know if I'll ever get an opportunity like that again... 🙁

[pgn]
    [Event "Simul Game, 7m+15s"] ...[text shortened]... Rxh1 65. Bxd4 Rh2+ 66. Kf3 Rxe2 67. Kxe2 h2 68. Kf3 h1=Q+ 69. Kf4 Qh2+ 70. Kg5 Qd2+ 0-1
    [/pgn]
    Shucks, you had a good game going there. GMs see things we mere mortals have to calculate; seeing is faster than calculating, so under time pressure, the one who sees has an advantage over the one who calculates (even if they arrive at the same move).

I think you did not pressure him enough after you got a material advantage. You played too defensively. I would have doubled the rooks and penetrated his back ranks with them... just a thought.
  6. Joined
    17 Dec '13
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 02:08
    if you know in advance who the gm or im is you can study up on them and know the opening response they will most likely play.

So you will have to time to study these opening variations. I know a lot of masters 2200 level who will study up on a guy before they play them if they know who they will play.

Knowing what someone will do will help a bunch
  7. Joined
    06 May '13
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 01:12
    I've already looked (with ChessBase) at what openings the GM plays in OTB games. But it was apparently useless: it looks like in simuls he plays different openings which are a little bit less popular. Just looking at our game, he answered 1. d4 with 1... c5, a move he never made in serious OTB games.

Not to worry, I have an entire year of premium membership on Playchess, which means that I'll be able to play a good dozen of games against him. So winning one game will be very plausible.
    I just have to be sure to play a little more aggressively and not to get into time trouble next time.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 02:09

[pgn]
    [Event "Simul Game, 7m+15s"] ...[text shortened]... Rxh1 65. Bxd4 Rh2+ 66. Kf3 Rxe2 67. Kxe2 h2 68. Kf3 h1=Q+ 69. Kf4 Qh2+ 70. Kg5 Qd2+ 0-1
    [/pgn]
    Any way you slice it, this is a nice job. Good show!
  9. Joined
    06 May '13
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 20:17
    YES!!! I just defeated IM Michael Kopylov a few minutes ago!

And he lost on time.

I tried to play more aggressively this time, and it looks like it worked.

My next and final goal is to beat GM Bojkov, but he's proving to be even stronger than IM Kopylov.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree