1. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 21:57
    Looking through an old book, there is a rule about announcing "I adjust" to be able to straight ones 'piece' during OTB. Does anyone here play along that old rule?

Comment's welcome.
  2. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 10:521 edit
    Yes, on an OTB event it's a rule. And you adjust only when it's your turn to move.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 11:07
    @sundown316 said
    Yes, on an OTB event it's a rule. And you adjust only when it's your turn to move.
    In German we use the French term "J'adoube"
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 11:10
    @sundown316
    I'm reminded of a dispute on the North West U.K. Open events about opponents getting up for a stroll (as many do😒) & by adjusting without sight caused a big row.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 23:13
    @hells-caretaker said
    Looking through an old book, there is a rule about announcing "I adjust" to be able to straight ones 'piece' during OTB. Does anyone here play along that old rule?

Comment's welcome.
    Sometimes I just do it on the fly.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 01:48
    @hells-caretaker said

Comment's welcome.
    You must say something before adjusting a piece on the board.
    Commonplace in English speaking countries is j'adoube as ponderable
    has pointed out. As far as I am aware it is nonsensical in French!

What do the French say?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 01:51
    See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Matulovi%C4%87 for abuse of this rule.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 11:061 edit
    @hells-caretaker said

Comment's welcome.
    I think that goes along with another old rule that says if you touch a piece, then that's the piece you must move (unless you announce in advance that you are adjusting it).

I suppose a really abusive application would be to say "j'adoube" then switch all your pieces around so that you end up playing with some kind of 960 vs classical setup.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 11:43
    @wolfgang59 said

What do the French say?
    "adouber" is adjusting. So I think it makes sense in French (bt I am not a native Speaker. The wikipedia Claims that "J'adoube" is used in France (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adouber_(%C3%A9checs) the gibberish (%C3%A9) is "é"
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 19:14
    @ponderable said
    "adouber" is adjusting. So I think it makes sense in French (bt I am not a native Speaker. The wikipedia Claims that "J'adoube" is used in France (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adouber_(%C3%A9checs) the gibberish (%C3%A9) is "é"
    Google translate gives the verb adouber as "to dub" (ie knight someone).
    The verb to adjust is régler.

Any native French speakers here?
  11. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 21:50
    @wolfgang59

From "Le Petit Robert" - the authoritative French dictionary

Adouber - originally [around 1080] referred to the process of knighting someone by tapping them on the shoulder. It now means:

[1] The process of arming a knight by adoubement
    [2] By extension [1752] related to 'to equip' or 'to arrange' : In chess to replace a piece moved by accident. When touching a piece without intending to play, "J'adoube".
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Jul '20 07:00
    @wolfgang59 said

What do the French say?
    I can't remember what happened in the London League. Based on watching footage of grandmasters they make their move and adjustment of pieces happens just after the move, typically their opponent joins in and adjusts theirs and as long as no one attempts to shift a piece from its starting square there isn't an argument. I don't think either of them ever says "j'aboube" or anything else.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jul '20 07:14
    @deepthought said
    I can't remember what happened in the London League. Based on watching footage of grandmasters they make their move and adjustment of pieces happens just after the move, typically their opponent joins in and adjusts theirs and as long as no one attempts to shift a piece from its starting square there isn't an argument. I don't think either of them ever says "j'aboube" or anything else.
    I played in the London Commercial League and it was always "j'adoube".
    Played a few games for Barnet in the Herts League and I'm sure it would
    have been the same there too.

I'd be miffed if someone touched a piece without saying anything.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jul '20 07:15
    @aquatabby said
    @wolfgang59

From "Le Petit Robert" - the authoritative French dictionary

Adouber - originally [around 1080] referred to the process of knighting someone by tapping them on the shoulder. It now means:

[1] The process of arming a knight by adoubement
    [2] By extension [1752] related to 'to equip' or 'to arrange' : In chess to replace a piece moved by accident. When touching a piece without intending to play, "J'adoube".
    Thanks for that.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Jul '20 09:35
    @wolfgang59 said
    I played in the London Commercial League and it was always "j'adoube".
    Played a few games for Barnet in the Herts League and I'm sure it would
    have been the same there too.

I'd be miffed if someone touched a piece without saying anything.
    How many professionals, in other words IMs and GMs were playing? What it is is that the behaviour among amateurs is different from the behaviour amongst Grandmasters, especially with regard to draw offers and resignations. In games between Grandmasters both players know it's a theoretical draw and the one on move makes a move that maintains the draw and sticks out his hand, they don't verbally offer draws - at least this is what Ben Finegold was saying in one of his videos on the Atlanta Chess Club YouTube site. You don't get players carrying on for 50 moves in a K + N + N v K + B ending - white can win this, but it requires that black goof up monstrously. So I'm wondering if this is the same regarding the centering of pieces.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree