Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 16 Apr '15 00:36 / 1 edit
    Arvin Hu. He's in England at the moment but I think he's going back to China soon. It was a very stressful experience playing someone three feet shorter than me and knowing that I stood worse for much of the game. No notes. Perhaps I'll add some tomorrow. I'm Black.
  2. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    16 Apr '15 07:33
    Anyone explain why 12 Qxd5 is good?
  3. 16 Apr '15 12:04
    I've had that sort of position quite a few times in blitz games, and they always recapture on d5 with a pawn rather than the queen. However I've often wondered whether Qxd5 was playable. I guess the idea is that it keeps the d-file half open for White, thus making Black's backward d-pawn much easier to attack.
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Apr '15 14:21
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    I've had that sort of position quite a few times in blitz games, and they always recapture on d5 with a pawn rather than the queen. However I've often wondered whether Qxd5 was playable. I guess the idea is that it keeps the d-file half open for White, thus making Black's backward d-pawn much easier to attack.
    What is your ELO? And the kid's also?
  5. 16 Apr '15 15:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is your ELO? And the kid's also?
    We don't use an Elo rating system in the UK. Neither of us has a FIDE rating. My ECF grade of ~185 works out at just under 2100 FIDE according to the latest official ECF to FIDE conversion formula (7.5 * ECF + 700 = FIDE). Arvin has had a lot of good wins recently and is probably about ECF 160 strength, which would works out as 1900 FIDE.
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Apr '15 17:27
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    We don't use an Elo rating system in the UK. Neither of us has a FIDE rating. My ECF grade of ~185 works out at just under 2100 FIDE according to the latest official ECF to FIDE conversion formula (7.5 * ECF + 700 = FIDE). Arvin has had a lot of good wins recently and is probably about ECF 160 strength, which would works out as 1900 FIDE.
    1900 age 9. good candidate for GM if he gets a good coach. Then he will whoop yo asss!
  7. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    17 Apr '15 22:56
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Arvin Hu. He's in England at the moment but I think he's going back to China soon. It was a very stressful experience playing someone three feet shorter than me and knowing that I stood worse for much of the game. No notes. Perhaps I'll add some tomorrow. I'm Black.
    [pgn]
    [White "Hu, Arvin"]
    [Black "Data Fly"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 d6 3. c4 g ...[text shortened]... 2 Ne4+ 36. Kxf3 Rxf1+
    37. Ke2 Rh1 38. Bxh6 Rxh4 39. Be3 Nc3+ {And Black eventually won}
    [/pgn]
    I was up a rook against Ray Robson when he was 8, and about 1800 Elo. With about 20 minutes left on my DGT clock, it became apparent that I did not set up the delay feature (Bronstein mode).

    I was embarrassed, and offered him a draw. Little did I know that it was my last chance, and he was on the road to being a GM.
  8. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    18 Apr '15 18:53
    I was spectating at a tournament one day and the TD, a good pal, asked if I'd be the house player, play an unrated game with a player with a bye, just for fun. I agreed, played white, Scotch Gambit, typical stuff. My opponent was an 11 year old kid. The kid played very well, very accurate and hung onto the pawn advantage to the ending and won. Just like an NM or CM would do against me more than likely. He was almost 1600 at the time, now is in the 18s. 🙂
    Little prick 😞
  9. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    20 Apr '15 01:57
    Don't be embarrassed. I once lost to a 7 year old in just 20 moves-a 7 year old named Fabiano Caruana!