1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 21:39
    is that normal? I normally play e4 if i want to be aggressive and d4 if i want to be defensive. Sometimes i play c4 then knight to c3 too just because i want to.

I don't know what grunfeld is...nor nimzo indian. I simply do not see the point of memorizing an opening line.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 21:50
    It's not normal really but I have a member in my club who's never read a chess book and he has a very respectable chess rating. I suppose you just end up recognising positions and patterns through experience. At my level (Just played the Scarborough Open with the best players in Yorkshire) however, you would need to learn opening theory but on correspondence chess, it doesn't really matter.
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 21:51
    It's not ''normal'', but it probably means that you spent your time studying more valuable things. However, you should now try to specialize in certain openings, because you will never come out of the opening with equality (nevermind an advantage), against people who are very good with theory and know the ideas behind their openings.

Say you reach 1900 because you're very good with tactics and endgame, you'll still be playing pretty much all of your middlegames from a disadvantage, for the rest of your life! Is that something you want?

Fortunately, improving your openings is probably the easiest thing to improve.

Also, D4 is definitely not a defensive opening. It's (probably) the opening move with the most enduring initiative (in general), albeit less tactical than E4 (also in general).
  4. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 22:032 edits
    It is nnot so important, even at my level, I agree, using my openig knowledge helps, but not so much.

I still lose many games, because of blunders. really stupid...
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 02:31
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    is that normal? I normally play e4 if i want to be aggressive and d4 if i want to be defensive. Sometimes i play c4 then knight to c3 too just because i want to.

I don't know what grunfeld is...nor nimzo indian. I simply do not see the point of memorizing an opening line.
    The only sure test of an opening line is if she goes home with you.

Paul
  6. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 02:49
    hehehe Paul will she go home heheheπŸ˜€
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 00:57

You are rated over 1700, and you don't know any opening lines at all?! If you believe that one folks...I have a bridge I'll sell ya. CHEAP!!😏
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 01:36
    Originally posted by bill718
    You are rated over 1700, and you don't know any opening lines at all?! If you believe that one folks...I have a bridge I'll sell ya. CHEAP!!😏
    I know e4/d4 and the first 2 moves of the English opening for white. that's about all...

does that count? I rely on tactics.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 02:01

If your opponents aren't well-versed in opening theory, then it doesn't matter.

Most players under 2000 aren't going to be able to hold on to the small advantages they get from knowing theory anyhow.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 07:20
    Originally posted by bill718
    i believe him. i'm pretty much the same... i know how the scotch goes but i learned the opening before knowing its name. other than that, not a lot... f4 is the bird but i don't know what you're 'supposed' to do after the opening move. as for defense names as black? forget about it, not a clue do i have.
  11. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 11:56

So what will you do when you meet strong players? Give away your pieces like this?

12. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 14:46
    Put Rybka in edition mode and play the mode, the porgram qill identify the openings.

I agree it tend to be wrong sometimes.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 20:161 edit
    Originally posted by CCNoob
    So what will you do when you meet strong players? Give away your pieces like this?

[pgn][Event "Challenge"] [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"] [Date "2009.08.09"] [EndDate "2009.09.02"] [Round "?"] [White "DawgHaus"] [Black "EmLasker"] [WhiteRating "2173"] [BlackRating "1751"] [WhiteELO "2173"] [BlackELO "1751"] [Result "1-0"] [GameId "6592850"] 1. d4 e5 ...[text shortened]... d7c6 14. h3 Bg4e6 15. Bc1g5 Rd8d4 16. Qe1e3 Qc6b6 17. Re5b5 1-0[/pgn]
    i blame this on calculation error and carelessness

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree