1. Alabama
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 17:44
    I don't understand this. Can someone explain it to me?

In two of my games, 6635423 and 6635425, my opponent has never made a move. The reason I haven't clicked on the skulls myself is that I would rather my opponent return--or rather, show up--so I can play the games.

The skulls have been sitting next to the games on my game list for a week now. At first I wondered why I was not already awarded these games, because I thought timeouts were automatically awarded after two days in tournaments, but my opponent ran out of timebank on 4 October, 42 days after my last move (which was also my first move).

Another thing that's confusing is that in the game in which my opponent was playing white there have been no moves, but my opponent is listed as still having the full 21 days to move, plus 21 days of timebank, which would indicate that the clock does not start ticking until someone moves. And yet, a skull appears for this game on my game listing.

Can someone explain these two phenomena?
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 18:011 edit
    It's just the site working crappily
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 18:33
    Originally posted by Ohforf

In two of my games, 6635423 and 6635425, my opponent has never made a move. The reason I haven't clicked on the skulls myself is that I would rather my opponent return--or rather, show up--so I can play the games.

The skulls have been sitting next to the games on my game list for a week now. At firs ...[text shortened]... a skull appears for this game on my game listing.

You can simplify this situation fast by adopting the policy of always clicking on all skulls! You can even announce that you will do this in your profile as I have. RHP is not perfect, but I've found over the past 3 years that they get it right 99% of the time. If you are worried about hurting your opponents feelings, you can always suggest a rematch. If they are still not happy with you, you could always suggest pills, wiskey, self help books, or the local priest!:'(
  4. Standard memberCharlieTPB
    Where is the Pawn?
    Burra-Burra SA
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 18:57
    mhm. If someone is so impolite as to not move in the time restraints that they have agreed to follow then they deserve to be timed out.
  5. Alabama
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 14:19
    Originally posted by bill718
    You can simplify this situation fast by adopting the policy of always clicking on all skulls! ... If you are worried about hurting your opponents feelings, you can always suggest a rematch [or] pills, wiskey, self help books, or the local priest!:'(

Originally posted by CharlieTPB
    mhm. If someone is so impolite as to not move in the time restraints that they have agreed to follow then they deserve to be timed out.

I'm not thinking about their feelings or what they deserve. My reason for not clicking skulls is purely selfish: I don't want to waste the time I've spent playing a game by having it stop halfway through by some time-out default. I'd much rather it was played out completely based entirely on skill.

I have no problem with those of you who enjoy winning by time-outs; that's your decision and your privilege. I just have different tastes, that's all.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 14:28
    Originally posted by bill718
    [b]You can simplify this situation fast by adopting the policy of always clicking on all skulls! ... If you are worried about hurting your opponents feelings, you can always suggest a rematch [or] pills, wiskey, self help books, or the local priest!:'(

Originally posted by CharlieTPB
    mhm. If someone is so ...[text shortened]... outs; that's your decision and your privilege. I just have different tastes, that's all.
    I don't think that's what the other folks meant. Everyone would like to have their games played out and entirely decided by skill, but if you opponent fails to move, then the game is NOT being played out.

If it is not being played out, you are not getting what you want. Clicking skulls means you can move on, and hopefully get an opponent who will play a game with you through to the end, decided entirely on skill.

Their suggestions is that, essentially, you are ALREADY wasting your time on a game where the opponent has made no attempt to continue. It's always a judgment call about when to "cut bait" and move on, and that's your call.

I did not read anything indicating that anyone enjoys winning by timeout, so I think you are laboring under a false assumption with regard to the intentions of others. They were merely suggesting that you could rid yourself of your angst and move on.

Paul
  7. e4
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 16:01
    One should always take skulls - always.

If not then the unskulled player will squeal like a stuck pig when he
    gets skulled by another player and cause a ruckus.

No need to apologise. They have left their clock en prise - take it.
  8. Fichtekränzi
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 21:16
    greenpawn34, I don't agree.
    We just play for fun here.
    What is the fun of taking skulls?
    I take skulls in tournament and clan games,
    but not in "private" games. I am waiting
    for user "zauber" since a year. Did he die?
    Or just loose interest? Who cares.
    I wated in another game for half of a year.
    Then the opponent moved again, saying that
    he had an accident and was in hospital all the time.
    He was quite happy, that someone waited for him.
    I don't take skulls in private games, so
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 21:34
    Originally posted by afx
    What is the fun of taking skulls?
    This is not something that can explained in words.

You have to experience the claiming of the skull - the blood running down your fingers, the quickening of the pulse, the urge to laugh triumphantly or giggle sardonically as you click.

When you know, you'll know.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 21:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

You have to [b]experience
    the claiming of the skull - the blood running down your fingers, the quickening of the pulse, the urge to laugh triumphantly or giggle sardonically as you click.

When you know, you'll know.[/b]
    Ohforf, my apologies, I stand corrected!
  11. The Smoke
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 21:50
    Originally posted by afx
    I waited in another game for half of a year. Then the opponent moved again, saying that
    he had an accident and was in hospital all the time. He was quite happy, that someone waited for him.
    you just made my day, too...
  12. e4
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 21:57
    Hi AFX.

"We just play for fun here. "

Fun....?

You play Monopoly for fun, you play Scabble for fun.
    You go to work get married and have kids for fun.

Chess is a living breathing entity that demands from you everything.
    It's a demon that can only satisfied with the blood of victory.

There is no such thing as a friendly game of chess. It's war.
    dog eat dog. Ask for and give no quarter.

Turn off the lights, place candles around your computer and slowly
    click the grinning skull.

Yell out aloud as you feel of the power of the win surging through
    your veins. You taste the sweet flavour of extra grading points.
    Your thirst has been quenched.

You don't get that by shouting 'Rent' or placing an 'X' on a triple score.

"What is the fun of taking skulls?"

It boosts your win ratio, have you forgotten that the more wins you
    have the lower your annual subscription.
  13. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 22:05
    Blimey. I was going to leave the skull that appeared a few hours ago but now I am going to invite my friends around for a 'Take the Skull' party; I envisage themed games, new cocktails, huge fun- then the bitter ashes of remorse the following day when I contemplate the enormity of my crime. Much like most of my parties, in fact.
  14. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 10:26
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

You have to [b]experience
    the claiming of the skull - the blood running down your fingers, the quickening of the pulse, the urge to laugh triumphantly or giggle sardonically as you click.

When you know, you'll know.[/b]
    oh yes! those are the best wins, especially if you are clearly loosing the game!
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 21:51

The skulls have been sitting next to the games on my game list for a week now. At firs ...[text shortened]... a skull appears for this game on my game listing.

My suspicion is that the timer was not started because your opponent never moved.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree